Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

JBA shorty headers installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JBA shorty headers installed

Just finished installing JBA headers on my 2002 Tahoe with 5.3L engine. Did a before 0-60 on a G-tech which was 8.1 sec and after headers is 7.8 sec, so much for shorty headers not being any better than stock manifolds. Here is a picture before installation
Attached Thumbnails JBA shorty headers installed-photo.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Teching In

.3 seconds is a reaction time difference. if you did ten before runs and ten after runs and saw the same .3 better time, then id brag about it.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBigWangTheory
.3 seconds is a reaction time difference. if you did ten before runs and ten after runs and saw the same .3 better time, then id brag about it.
I should have said this differently, I can't count the amount times it has done 0-60 in 8.1 sec, so this was the usual. After the headers first run was 7.7 then two more after that were 7.8, so no need to brag it is what it is.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Default JBA Shorties

I put JBA shorty headers on mine, too. (CA smog laws and all) I know they are not nearly as good as tuned long tubes would be, but my SOP dyno felt a definite measurable upper rpm improvement over stock cast iron. Along those same lines, I also later put on some SLP 1.85 rockers. I also know that this is no substitute for a real cam change, but again I felt a very real increase in torque across the rpm range (and it was easy to do). I'm still slow, but less slow than before!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no doubt that shorties are better than stock. Most people just get caught up comparing shorties to LT's.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone here do shorties with high flow metal matrix cats? That would be a more realistic comparison considering most LT headers come with high flow cats. It's still comparing apples and oranges but I am more than curious of what the power difference would be.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh my.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well either way man, if you got any improvement (real or mental) its a plus! Enjoy the headers!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 2500
Just finished installing JBA headers on my 2002 Tahoe with 5.3L engine. Did a before 0-60 on a G-tech which was 8.1 sec and after headers is 7.8 sec, so much for shorty headers not being any better than stock manifolds. Here is a picture before installation
How much did these cost? I am assuming you ran these through factory cats? Did you tune afterwards?

Originally Posted by topfueljim
I put JBA shorty headers on mine, too. (CA smog laws and all) I know they are not nearly as good as tuned long tubes would be, but my SOP dyno felt a definite measurable upper rpm improvement over stock cast iron. Along those same lines, I also later put on some SLP 1.85 rockers. I also know that this is no substitute for a real cam change, but again I felt a very real increase in torque across the rpm range (and it was easy to do). I'm still slow, but less slow than before!
Did you run through factory cats? Did the shorties change the sound? Did you tune after shorties? Did you tune after 1.85 rockers?

I was told by several header manufacturers that the factory cats are very restrictive. I removed them from my 99 Vette early in the mod process and had only canned Hypertech tune, replaced later with Kooks LT's (no slight on Kooks product, they are quality product) and a dyno tune for only a 9 rwhp increase....in this case it was not a good return on investment in my opinion. I'm sure that I realized the benefits later when I installed supercharger.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=NemesisC5;5029428]How much did these cost? I am assuming you ran these through factory cats? Did you tune afterwards?

Yes running through factory cats without a tune, the funny thing is I actually put these on to see if it would help Mpg and so far it looks like I got an extra mile to the gallon. I got them for $468 shipped from autoanything.

Quick Reply: JBA shorty headers installed