Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Jetting a 750cfm edelbrock carb???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetting a 750cfm edelbrock carb???

It seems like everyone on here is using computer controlled vehicles so I didnt know if anyone could help me. The carb on my small block seems to be fouling my plugs. I need to know how to tune it for the best power. I dont care about gas mileage as long as its not running super rich and fouling plugs. I have had 3 sets in 1500 miles. I replace the plugs and it has great power for a couple weeks then back to mediocre. I dont want to keep using a trial and error method with jets or whatever else because I'm not up for spending the cash or that much time. Does anyone have experience with this and can give me a good guess as to what jets or tuning I should do?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice is to put that thing on ebay and sell it then buy a 600. I dont know why but the 750 Edelbrock is junk in my experience, I have had a few of them and they always run crappy. If you insist on using it I would try the calibration for an out of the box 750. If you dont have a manual, I think it is on edelbrocks website. I promise you it will run 200% better with a 600 edelbrock.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

id get rid of that over priced quadrajunk, i run an 800 cfm c&s aerosol double pumper carburetor on my race car and thats that best carb ive ever seen, my friend has a set up close to yours, hes gotta 82 s10 with a 350 flat top with about a .550 lift cam ,msd, super victor intake on acid ported vortec heads, he had a 600 edelbrock and he got a 750 sed carb and it brought that thing to life, if you have a grand to spend id get a 750 c&s aerosol double pumper (www.candsspecialties.com) or just a good 750 double pumper, but thats just my opinion
Old 10-26-2005, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by L-EATER
My advice is to put that thing on ebay and sell it then buy a 600. I dont know why but the 750 Edelbrock is junk in my experience, I have had a few of them and they always run crappy. If you insist on using it I would try the calibration for an out of the box 750. If you dont have a manual, I think it is on edelbrocks website. I promise you it will run 200% better with a 600 edelbrock.
I agree with the fact that the 750 Edelbrock is junk, always has been in my experience too. BUT I would go with a 650 Holley Double Pumper or maybe a 750 Holley.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Also, with your setup I would junk the single plane manifold and get a Performer RPM Air-Gap.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

I know the single plane is junk but I dont see how a dual plane is going to wake this thing up much more. It peels through first and 20ft of 2nd. I dont think I could handle any added low end. Everyone has said that the edelbrock 750 is junk...i put on a holley 600 and the 750 blows it out of the water with throttle response and top end, just black smoke everywhere and i have to change plugs every 500 miles to keep performance. The 750 came straight of of the box and onto my engine, came with the crate engine actually. I was asking for some tuning advice but the only advice i have received was to junk it. Anything else I can do before I just settle for changing plugs once a month?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Instead of adjusting you air/fuel mixture screws try replacing the jets, depends how black you plugs you might try 2-3 steps lower than what you have. Like L-EATER said "sell it", you have way too much carb for such a small engine and yes that small block is a small engine. I am used to a 454 with about .600 lift, I used a 750 with vacuum secondary untill I got the Ram Jet fuel injection. Any holley 600 or 650 cfm carb would be good, 4150 double pumper or vacuum secondary. I personally like the vacuum secondary for street use and double pumper for strip use.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I had a 750 edlebrock, and although it didnt make the power of a Holley it was a better driving carb. Are you sure you have the proper fuel pressure? You can run a holley higher without a problem, but those edelbrocks are more sensitive. An out of the box carb shouldnt be blowing black smoke. Have you adjusted the secondary metering rods also? Is it rich at idle? I dont think that carb is too big either- stock 305's came with 750 and 780 carbs from the factory. As long as it is vac secondary it is hard to oversize that much. There is no power valve, just the 2 step metering rods fir the secondaries so that isnt a problem. Maybe the throttle plates are open too far and they are pulling from the off idle fuel circuit. Soo many possibilities.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:16 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by joewee350
I know the single plane is junk but I dont see how a dual plane is going to wake this thing up much more. It peels through first and 20ft of 2nd. I dont think I could handle any added low end. Everyone has said that the edelbrock 750 is junk...i put on a holley 600 and the 750 blows it out of the water with throttle response and top end, just black smoke everywhere and i have to change plugs every 500 miles to keep performance. The 750 came straight of of the box and onto my engine, came with the crate engine actually. I was asking for some tuning advice but the only advice i have received was to junk it. Anything else I can do before I just settle for changing plugs once a month?
if your edelbrock is based on the quadrajet it will blow most street carbs away in throttle response because its primaries are comparatively small, even to the typical holley design. I have always been a fan of the quadrajet carb, had one on the 67 impala SS I built, great driver and lots of power. The secondaries are HUGE, I used to love listening to them open up on the freeway One day it let go on me and I replaced it wit a carter AFB. Not as powerful as the quadrajet, but, it was very easy to tune via a master jets and needles kit.

Last edited by moregrip; 10-27-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:23 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

was just looking at edelbrocks site, they sell calibration kits for their carbs, I would recommend investing in one.

Quick Reply: Jetting a 750cfm edelbrock carb???