Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Just bought a 04 Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 11:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 04 Duramax

What kinda basic mods should I get. I am going to get exhaust later down the road, but until then I have to keep my modding secret. My dad said I already have a 422 I dont need to hotrod out the "family" truck lol!. Im thinking about that Bully Dog Power Pup. Anyone have any experience with that.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:37 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LET THE MODDING BEGIN!!!

I hear a chip makes a HELL of a difference on those trucks.

Congrats on the new truck.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98VobraSVT
What kinda basic mods should I get. I am going to get exhaust later down the road, but until then I have to keep my modding secret. My dad said I already have a 422 I dont need to hotrod out the "family" truck lol!. Im thinking about that Bully Dog Power Pup. Anyone have any experience with that.

Well how much do you want to spend?

The Quadzilla and Edge Juice boxes just plug into the CANbus under hood and run around $800 or so. Those boost power with two levels: lower power economy mode (about 50-70hp) and a towing mode (100-125hp). These are RWHP figures. Toss on a high flow intake of some sort and I'd just weld in a BIG Magnaflow diesel muffler if you plan to stay mild...read on for wild...

Any much more power than mild (usually 100rwhp/200rwtq is all the stocker will take additionally) that and your trans will slip due to the converter and you'll go into a reduced power mode. Good thing the Allison only uses clutch packs for the gears and will just slip instead of breaking. Nice!

It will set you back about $1700 for a multiclutch converter, TransGo shift kit, and a C2 (I believe that's the correct pack) clutch pack. Then you're good to hold ~450rwhp/900rwtq. After than then you need to replace the C1, C2, C3, C4 clutch packs, as well as some other internal upgrades to hold well over 650rwhp/1300rwtq! The fully done one "No Limitations on Horsepower and torque" www.suncoastconverters.com . It will set you back about $4200 for a fully done Allison w/ converter.

Once your trans holds, then get a Quadzilla stealth box and stack it with the Edge or Quad plug in. Then you have all the fuel you can handle and ignition timing. Next I'd look into a shot of nitrous. About 125 is as far as stock injectors will flow with stacked boxes.

Upgraded injectors are around $1200 and pick up another 100hp then I'd go to a 4" exhuast. You could consider an 80 shot of propane also. Ported turbo or an upgrade if you get really silly.

Hope that enlightens what can be done with your truck.

BTW...a guy over on a diesel page runs 12.10's in a 4x4 CCSB D/A with dual programmers, intake, exhuast, built Alli, and a 125shot. Stock turbo, stock injectors.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup stock exhaust is actually very good. i believe it is 3.5" piping and a very high flowing muffler for being so quiet. we made on a truck 3 days old 358 rwhp and 734 rwtq all stock other than a www.edgeproducts.com hot juice box. amazing power. stock sseems so weak now. there is a tremendous amount of drivetrane loss on these trucks and you can still make huge power. diesel is by far a more powerful motor over gas with easy mods. our truck smashes most nearly any truck other than Lightnings and can still pull 17,000 lbs all day.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:06 PM
8 Second Club

I think Im goign to get that Edge with the Attitude Unit. I kinda want that Power Pup Unit from Bulley Dog, but I want to make sure my tranny will stay ok. Will I gain any power by putting like a 4" exhaust with just a chip and cold air?? Also is there any free mods to do for the trucks? Like homemade ram-airs that work, or anything of the sort??
Old 11-15-2003, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

really the truck is designed tremendously. i mean we are atlking about a 300 hp motor designed to run for 300K miles! lol. the intake is a pretty cheap nice helper but really isnt necessary. the 4" catback helps out some but not as much as one might think. there will be around a 6-8 rwhp gain and not much tq at all. the stock muffler is amazing. do a catback for lower EGT mainly and sound if you want that. in fact the stock intake works so well not that many guys do it. stock looks like aftermarket unit. if you go juice, then save your money for tires and a tranny if you beat on it!
Old 11-15-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Just be **** about oil changes and the fuel filter and it should pretty much last an easy 8-10 years.

With an intake you'll hear that big turbo spool A LOT more. Not a good way to stay stealthy...tho' it sounds cool. A high flow exhuast is mainly to drop EGT's. You'll gain more sound and better looks. Like I've told many people, stock intakes and exhaust systems are FAR better than ones from 10 years ago.

With just the Egde box or Quad box you'll push the limits of the stock torque converter. The TransGo and converter will let you run a bit more.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Superchips will also have a Microtuner out for the 04 Duramax's by the first of the year. 50 - 75- 100 hp for about $350...