Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Just a few questions for all of ya

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just a few questions for all of ya

Well...my heads are on thier way to me (THANK YOU gonzo6.0), they are Iron 6.0 heads that I am going to have a stage I P&P done on, The cam is gonna be ordered next month (212/218 .565/.565 115lsa), it's not the one I was gonna go with but it seems REALLY popular and I trust you guys, I am also going to do the LS1 manifold swap at the same time as the heads and cam.....

Here are my questions:

1. what kind of power gain can be expected from this swap ??

2. This cam is not the one I originally decided on but I have been assured that I will not lose any low-end.....is this correct ???, if it is not I am going to go with the 206/212 .535/.535 115lsa that I originally chose

3. How close to maxing out the truck injectors am I going to be after this swap ???.....I ask because I am going to use the truck injectors and modify the LS1 manifold due to cost issues (cutting down the rail stand-offs)

4. Will this thing even run (poor idle issues I can deal with) after a fairly radical heads/cam/intake swap ??.....I NEED to know because I have to drive it 130 miles to Cmotorsports after I do the install to have it tuned

5. can anyone tell my EVERYTHING I am going to need to do the cam/heads swap ??....the intake I have covered because it's mostly custom **** anyway but the heads and cam I would like to have EVERYTHING I need without having to drive 60 miles to the nearest auot-parts shop

Thanks for the help
Al
Old 01-16-2004, 08:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a shot.

The cam you are going with (212/218 115LSA) shouldn't take away any low-end. The LS1 intake however, I would think would hurt your low-end and give you some top-end. I've read on here that the truck intakes are designed for the low-end torque they produce, for towing purposes.
If I were you, I'd keep the intake.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Banned

just a question...why go with the iron heads for a P/P? they're heavy, harder to work with, it's probably gonna cost ya more to port/polish them cuz they are iron. just curious.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:29 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you really mean to say ls1 intake? i am prety sure the truck intake flows better than the ls1 intake, if you were steping up to the ls6 intake then maybe it would be worth the time to swap. i say keep the truck intake also.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Slow.....because they are CHEAP ($100).....and they flow REALLY GOOD even in stock form (no-one has yet to prove that the iron and aluminum heads have ANY flow differences), I am also going to save $600 - $700 by using the iron heads vs the aluminum ones (even AFTER the porting costs)....and since I am going for reliability as well as performance I want to stick with the iron heads (besides....my truck weights 5660lbs....it's NEVER gonna see 12's without ALOT more than just heads/cam).......I would be sticking with my stock heads if they didn't have 2 exhaust manifold bolts broken off in each of the heads (not MY doing), it's easier for me to just switch heads

parish8....after talking to Seth I decided to go with the LS1 intake because it was $30 vs $330 for the LS6 intake, I am trying to build higher-rpm horsepower which the truck intake seems to hinder by itls taller runner and smaller plenum design as well as keep the low-end torque (which both Seth and John at Speartech assure me I WON't lose by swapping to the LS1 manifold)....besides, no-one has yet to provide ANY real proof that the truck intake flows any better or worse than the LS1 or LS6 intake. The intake runners are actually 1mm longer on the LS1/LS6 intake than they are on the truck intake, which by design should mean theat those intakes SHOULD make more torque (not that it actually happens...I'm just making a point), besides....I'm doing the manifold swap purely for asthetic reasons (I REALLY like the look of the f-body manifold)...if it loses power I will just swap back to the truck manifold (another reason why I am using the truck injectors and rails)

y'know...I could make a ****-TON of money by buying a flowbench and just running numbers on **** all day long for people here....hmmmmm

so...any ideas on whether or not I am going to max the injectors with this combo ???
Old 01-17-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't worry to much about maxing the injectors unless you add a power adder. I would expect to see about 50rw over what your making now. Could be more, but you will be choking those great flowing heads with restrictive stock manifolds. You may want to invest in some headers to really open it up and then you could see in the 70rw range.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would still hold out for some aluminum heads. They transfer heat SOOOOOOOOOO much better which will let you run more timing and a more effecient engine. I think you would be happier with the aluminum heads. That cam is small relatively speaking. Seeing that you have 4.10, I would even consider something a little more aggressive. Have you thought about a bigger torque converter? If so, I would definantly go bigger. Headers are also a big improvement. I think headers are so far the biggest difference I have seen on my truck running close in line with the pulley, but I'm not crazy about the pulley.

I don't think you would have anything to worry about with the injectors. That cam, and even a little larger should run OK on a stock tune.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Greg....This is the "First Step".....headers will come next, the headers I want are the SuperMaxx LT's but it's gonna take awhile to afford them

Flyer....I know about all the benefits of the aluminum heads and I agree that if money wasn't an issue I would be using them (or probably the new AFR heads)....but since money IS an issue I'm still gonna use the iron ones (maybe I'm just being a rebel....), the 4.10's do help but you have to remember that my 2.48:1 first gear and 5600lb weight tend to kill any real benefit the gears give me, a stall will be coming fairly soon, it's gonna be a TT2600HD converter
Old 01-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Banned

if money is an issue as far as heads are concerned just hold off on it for a while. there's tons of people selling stock heads CHEAP...just look a little. the IRON heads aren't any more reliable than the alum heads. and the AFR heads aren't worth the money...
Old 01-17-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Actually Slow....the main issue I have with the aluminum heads is where I live....during the summer it get to 130*-135* degrees here.....and EVERY road out of the valley climbs a 3000+ft pass. During the summer it is VERY common to overheat here...even with a correctly operating cooling system the radiator just can't disperse enough heat into the atmosphere to keep the engine at correct operating temp when under load because the outside temps are so damn high....even brand-new cars overheat here, and you should see the number of trucks pulling trailers (which I do ALL summer long) sitting along-side the road letting the temps drop . An iron head will survive repeated overheating....an aluminum one won't (it's just a matalurgical fact...they tend to warp...badly)

Quick Reply: Just a few questions for all of ya