Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Just finished the 212/218 install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished the 212/218 install

Finally finished the new 21/218 lowlift cam install in my lil engine that could (4.8L).

It fired right up and idled like stock...Had mad lifter knock so I shut it down. Oil pressure was 40 PSI. I started it again and had the same lifter knocking. I revved it up to 2k and then let idle for a couple minutes. Lifter knock quieted down some, but still not right. I went inside, ate dinner and racked my brain to figure out what went wrong. After dinner, I went back out there and torqued all the rocker arms again. None of them moved, so I bolted everything back up. Fired up again only to find the engine running rough as hell. I forgot to plug in the right coil packs Plugged them back in and low and behold it fired up and idled like it should with no noise.

I will post videos up in a bit.

I will now have to figure out the HP tuner. I am kicking around the idea of getting a mail order tune then tweak it with the HP tuners. Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds schweet. Do keep us updated, and keep a TBSS converter on the back burner for the future. I'm subscribing to this...............

Edit; oh yeah, about the tuning, you'd prolly be best off as you mentioned, with a mail order tune then tweak it from there.............

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 08-02-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: for unlawful and carnal kowledge..........
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I'd get a tune, I messed with my 212/218 tune for almost a year before I got it right. Looking back I would have been alot happier with a tune. It wasn't hard to get WOT tuned, I had a hard time getting to start quickly and not surge at idle. Got a tune on my new motor and it runs like stock...
Old 08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am uploading the vid's now...it takes awhile.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPFD
I'd get a tune, I messed with my 212/218 tune for almost a year before I got it right. Looking back I would have been alot happier with a tune. It wasn't hard to get WOT tuned, I had a hard time getting to start quickly and not surge at idle. Got a tune on my new motor and it runs like stock...
your saying you woulda been happier with a tune over the 212/218 cam?
That surging issue you talk of is odd

i ran mine on the stock tune for a short time and had no issues with surging
this cam far out shines any tune,i gained 5 mph from it show me a tune that does that?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think what he meant was he should have bought the mail order tune with his 212/218, instead of trying to tune by himself.

Stock tune is ok for now...but mine does not like to idle with the AC on...it surges pretty bad at a stop sign. That is easy enough to solve with the HP tuner. I am looking at the mail order tune to help with the PE and WOT settings. Short and long term fuel trims I think I can handle. I just dont have the wide band 02.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
keep a TBSS converter on the back burner for the future.
Do you mean TB I6 converter? I have been looking for the I6, but no luck.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

I'm watching this one, my 212/218 has been sitting in a box for a year with every tool and part needed to swap it I just lack the time. You're getting me motivated. Let us know what you do with the tune!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Leevon
I'm watching this one, my 212/218 has been sitting in a box for a year with every tool and part needed to swap it I just lack the time. You're getting me motivated. Let us know what you do with the tune!
Get that thing in there. It took me about 12 hours to do the cam swap (I took my time). My 4.8 idle is very nice... I havent had the chance to really open up the thottle yet, but I can feel a big difference in the "on Base" driving. Once I get this thing warmed/broke in, WOT test here I come! Highest speed limit on the military base is 45MPH. Drag Strip is only open fridays between 9pm-12am. And if it rains (I live on a tropical Island) which is often at night, they close the track.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the first start up video (notice the lifters tapping) Don't mind the Dyson in the back ground, the wife was cleaning her Denali lol

Quick Reply: Just finished the 212/218 install