Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Just finished installing '01 LS-6 cam (first impressions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just finished installing '01 LS-6 cam (first impressions)

Well, ok so I finished the swap at noon today and haven't had a chance to drive it all that much but after re-assembling everything and firing the motor off for the first time I had 16 clicking lifters that scared the ever-loving bejesus out of me and after about 30 seconds of running they all started to quiet down except for 1 that kept clicking. I let the truck continue to idle and it still wouldn't shut up!! I said F-it and drove off in the truck anyways and put a few gentile miles on it not going over 2500 RPM's and then the next time I came to a stop you couldn't even hear the motor running. Now that my motor is back to sounding stock and no one can hear any valve-train noises I decided I'd give it a few good runs through the gears. First of all I would like to be the first one to say that there is absolutely no difference from idle-3000 RPM's with the LS6 cam vs. the stock 4.8 cam. The little 4.8 doesn't lose ANY low end power with this cam. From 3000-5000 RPM's it feels a little more torquey than the stock cam and from 5000-6000 pulls a good bit better than the stock cam. I've never done a cam swap on a vehicle with a PCM before so I'm assuming that this thing now needs to go in and get a professional dyno tune. I'm not diasspointed with the results but I was expecting a little more I guess. Is getting a dyno tune after a cam swap going to give bigger results or have I seen the most of the changes up front? I already have a wait4me tune and will more than likely need to send it back for a refund (If jesse will do that). If you asked me what I would rate this mod , for the work and cost that went into it, I would rate it a 5 out of 10. Being an avg mod and only so so worth doing.

Joe

Last edited by hirdlej; 09-22-2005 at 11:28 PM. Reason: mis-typed thread title
Old 09-22-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Well, ok so I finished the swap at noon today and haven't had a chance to drive it all that much but after re-assembling everything and firing the motor off for the first time I had 16 clicking lifters that scared the ever-loving bejesus out of me and after about 30 seconds of running they all started to quiet down except for 1 that kept clicking. I let the truck continue to idle and it still wouldn't shut up!! I said F-it and drove off in the truck anyways and put a few gentile miles on it not going over 2500 RPM's and then the next time I came to a stop you couldn't even hear the motor running. Now that my motor is back to sounding stock and no one can hear any valve-train noises I decided I'd give it a few good runs through the gears. First of all I would like to be the first one to say that there is absolutely no difference from idle-3000 RPM's with the LS6 cam vs. the stock 4.8 cam. The little 4.8 doesn't lose ANY low end power with this cam. From 3000-5000 RPM's it feels a little more torquey than the stock cam and from 5000-6000 pulls a good bit better than the stock cam. I've never done a cam swap on a vehicle with a PCM before so I'm assuming that this thing now needs to go in and get a professional dyno tune. I'm not diasspointed with the results but I was expecting a little more I guess. Is getting a dyno tune after a cam swap going to give bigger results or have I seen the most of the changes up front? I already have a wait4me tune and will more than likely need to send it back for a refund (If jesse will do that). If you asked me what I would rate this mod , for the work and cost that went into it, I would rate it a 5 out of 10. Being an avg mod and only so so worth doing.

Joe

Give it some time to re-learn. It might even be a good idea to reset the PCM. And YES a tune will magnify the effects of the cam and is a good idea after.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Got some good info there; I've been wondering about the ls6 cams. Jesse ought to be able to tune for that cam; just call him and see what he could do.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I just had to reset the computer again since the PCM I got from Jesse likes to randomly make my temperature guage fall to zero every now and then. I just got inside from doing an oil change after driving it for 15 miles or so. Accidentally got a li'l antifreeze in the pan with the timing cover off. (gotta keep those radiator hoses outta the way). Anways if any of you want to know how the idle has changed, there is ZERO LOPE with this cam on a 4.8 and just an ever so slight deeper tone to the exhaust but to the untrained ear it sounds just like another 4.8. I think this thing is in serious need of a tune now. It sounds throatier when I get on it at highway speeds but just doesn't pull as hard as I would hope. It's no worse than stock so I'm not disappointed but I think there's quite a few horsies hiding in the tuning yet. My last dyno I had done my truck (all stock but wait4me tune installed) was running a 11.9:! AFR> I am going to get more exhaust readings and give them to Jesse and hopefully he can nail it via mail rather than having to go back and fprth to the dyno. Let the games begin..............
Old 09-23-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to try that cam in my truck someday.

Awesome write-up!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:09 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure that if you can get it dyno or street tuned you'll feel quite a difference. Congrats on the install
Old 09-23-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Well today will be the first day I actually go out driving the truck so we'll see what happens. I'm going to try to get ahold of Doug Rippie Motorsports today and see if he can squeeze me in for a dyno tune session. What does a typical dyno session run for you guys? I'm hoping it's not more than $300 or I won't be able to afford it. I would like to give Jesse a chance at retuning my PCM but I'm afraid once I start eating the cost of going to dyno's, shipping back and forth a few times, time spent I could be doing something else, etc, that I will have more money wrapped up in the wait4me tune than if I simply just got refunded my $150, and add another 200 to it and pay to have someone dyno tune it and get it right the first time. Is it at all possible that if Jesse can't refund my PCM, that I can sell it to another board member who has an '04 truck similar to mine? The VIN would be different on the PCM but at least someone could drop it in their truck and not have to wait 6 weeks or so.