Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Just ordered smaller pulley for the Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just ordered smaller pulley for the Whipple

I just got off the phone ordering a smaller pulley for my Whipple.They said this should put me right at or a hair over 8psi.I know detonation is a big enemy for F/I applications,but I think I might be able to run it.Right now I have my WOT timing on my Predator set at the full 10% adjustment and fuel at 2.5% with no WOT KR.I'm thinking there is enough adjustment in the fuel and timing to run the extra 2 pounds boost if I need to back the timing up a little or add a little more fuel.My biggest concern is at part throttle since I cant make any adjustments there for fuel and timing.I should have the pulley here by the weekend and will post my results.Do you guys think this will work or will I be pulling it off the same day I install it????

Randy
Old 05-07-2003, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Just ordered smaller pulley for the Whipple

You should be okay. I would pull some timing if not put it back to stock when you plan on racing it. Just listen for detonation that is for sure. Good Luck it should be fun!
Oh yeah, if it doesn't work out I know someone who could use the pulley J/K I'll buy my own. What size is it and how much did it cost? Is your Whipple the one serpentine belt setup?
Old 05-07-2003, 04:33 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck, i don't think you will be able to get 8+psi to work. you MIGHT be able to get it to run without any KR but you will have to pull so much timeing and run so rich that it wont make any extra power.

my experience with 92 octane gas is 6psi-6.5psi max and you will still get some KR under a part throttle heavy load on warmer days. i dont sweat a little KR at part throttle.

with slightly desensatized knock sensors i run 6psi with 92 gas and got 0 KR
then went to 8psi and got full continuas 8deg of KR, at that point i think things can break cause the computer can't pull any more timing.
then went to 100octane gas with the 8psi and went back to 0 KR
then tried an 11psi pulley and got peeks of KR at launch and shifts but not full continuas KR.

i run right at 11.5-1 a/f ratio and see 14.5deg of timing, i just ordered a 9psi pully and will be trying that this weekend with 100 octane and a 75shot i got a grudge match with a procharged(11psi), heads and cam, stroked 383 LT4
Old 05-07-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Ryan...the pulley was 60.00 plus shipping.My Whipple is the single/serpentine belt setup.
If you order one,just tell them what size pulley you allready have and they can tell you what size is needed for the boost you want to run.
Parish.....I'm not looking for any big gains...I think if I can get about 20 more fwhp with it thats cool for that little amount of money.But your right,it may not work at all.My biggest concern is
part throttle KR.I'm getting some now from time to time but I think it may be false knock.It never grows with rpm's,it just pops up at a number then slowly counts back to zero.Under certain situations when accell...it may go from zero straight to 2 then go back to zero as I keep accellerating.It has never started to count from zero up to a number.I dont really know how KR works but have seen on a website somewhere that false knock is usually determined by it jumping to a number and counting back to zero as rpm's increase.I guess after I install the new pulley I will know for sure...if it gets worse at part throttle.I do plan on running a water/alky kit in the near future so that should take care of it then for sure.The pulley should be here by Friday....I'll let you know how it goes.

Randy
Old 05-14-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well....I got the pulley and couldnt install it.They sent me the wrong one Wouldnt fit over the shaft and the bolt holes wouldnt line up.I emailed them for a ra so i can return it for the correct one.Havent heard back from them yet.I may have to give them a call.