Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

K&N filter soaked......problems????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N filter soaked......problems????

Don't know if this is the right section, but..... This week I went to go check my truck since its getting painted and the painter pressure washed the engine and he also accidently sprayed my whole K&N filter since I have the CAI and he didn't know it was the filter .... He just turned it on to dry and moved it in to the painting room since it was outside about 20 yards...... Its an 02 5.3 silverado..... Do you think he damaged my engine or what should I do..... I take very good care of my engine and strictly maintanence.... I'm so concerned about this..... please I need your help...
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

a little bit of water wont hurt the engine. let the filter dry, and pull your MAF to clean it and dont worry about it.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2^^^
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys.....How do you pull out the MAF? Where is it exactly? How do you clean it? Sorry but don't know much about this..... So even though it was soaked after he pressure washed it turned it on to dry and moved it a couple of yards, it won't cause any problems to the engine like hydrolock it or something?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys.....How do you pull out the MAF? Where is it exactly? How do you clean it? Sorry but don't know much about this..... So even though it was soaked after he pressure washed it turned it on to dry and moved it a couple of yards, it won't cause any problems to the engine like hydrolock it or something?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

You simple or something? The MAF is just upstream of the airbox/filter. Two clamps hold it there, loosen them off, pull the air inlet tube off then pull the maf off of the airbox. Clean it with MAF cleaner and a Q-tip.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevytk
If the engine was hydrolocked, you'd know it already, the truck wouldn't have made it into the spray booth, or if it bent a rod and managed to keep running, you'd hear a piston slapping and possibly have a misfire
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Teching In

You do NOT use a q-tip to clean your maf. Just buy a can of maf cleaner, take it off and spray it and let it air dry. Don't touch the element (wires) with anything. They are fragile and sensitive. The honeycomb structure is there to straighten the airflow across the wire elements. Straight, smooth airflow airflow allows the element to produce a good quality, accurate signal to the ecu. Best to spray the honeycomb the opposite direction of the airflow in order not to push deposits or debris on through the structure. Remove, spray, dry, install.

Do it every so often or every other oil change. They do get residue on them so it can affect how your engine runs. In my case, throttle response was improved slightly.

Last edited by 72te27; 05-27-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: content
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Baltimore Whore

It is fine if it started and ran.. don't sweat it..
Old 05-27-2011, 06:30 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 72te27
You do NOT use a q-tip to clean your maf. Just buy a can of maf cleaner, take it off and spray it and let it air dry. Don't touch the element (wires) with anything. They are fragile and sensitive. The honeycomb structure is there to straighten the airflow across the wire elements. Straight, smooth airflow airflow allows the element to produce a good quality, accurate signal to the ecu. Best to spray the honeycomb the opposite direction of the airflow in order not to push deposits or debris on through the structure. Remove, spray, dry, install.
This is good advice

Quick Reply: K&N filter soaked......problems????