Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

K&N filters affecting MAFs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N filters affecting MAFs

There is a debate raging on another forum regarding the effect that the oil from a K&N filter has on MAFs and transmission performance, and warranties. One side posted a GM technical bulletin which states that excessively oiled aftermarket filters cause the oil to be deposited on the MAF which then causes engine and transmission problems and that dealers finding this condition do not have to make repairs under warranty. The other side points out that this only happens with excessively oiled filters and that most have never had this problem and it's simply a GM CYA. However, a couple have claimed experiencing MAF contamination with brand new K&N filters right out of the box. One side says you can't use any solvents, such as electrical component cleaners, to clean a MAF. The other side says you can and that's what the dealers do.

After recently installing a K&N FIPK on my 2003 Silvy, this issue concerns me a bit. Has anyone on this forum experienced such probelms with a new K&N or had a dealer try to deny any warranty repairs as a result?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok heres the major complication with all of this, the MAFS can be cleaned but it is better for it to be done by your dealer. Reason being because you have to be 100% positve that the connections on the MAF do not get bridge in any sort of way whether its liquid, metal, or corrosion. Once they bridge it causes major problems with the readings that it sends to the ECU. As for the K&N you're right heavly/ over saturated filters will leak the oils through but to avoid this just let it sit for a few hours (maybe 1-3hrs)and then you're good. As for the filters right out of the box my only explanation for that which is 100% my two cents is that it was probably over oiled to begin with and sat in the box and soaked in that box then was installed before it had a chance to dry up a bit!!
Old 04-27-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Pfff, if you do it right, there is nothing to worry about. How hard is it to follow directions?
Old 04-28-2004, 09:23 AM
12 Second Truck Club

It is correct. An overly oiled filter can cause tranny issues amoung other things. Most of the people I know, even ones that work at dealer just use carb cleaner to clean out the MAF. Over time your MAF will most likely get real dirty even on a fairly low milage car so it's not a bad idea to inspect it when you do clean/replace your filter. Just don't go nutso with the oil and you should be fine
Old 04-28-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a tsb about that.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150659
Old 04-28-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly on the oiling issue. Just use good judgement when applying oil. Use enough to coat the filter and no more. I had a problem on my F150 where it was overoiled from the factory and it messed up anything over idle. It'd stumble BADLY at anything over idle. I had to pull codes and all sorts of ****...told me MAF voltage low...pulled the MAF...wires were CAKED with K&N oil.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thnaks Hit Man. That's what I was asking about...problems experienced with new filters. I hope K&N is getting feedback on this and hopefully takes action on tightening up quality control. Most people, myself included, would probably not suspect a brand new filter to be the cause of a problem and would waste time chasing it down, as you did. Or even worse, a trip to the dealer.

I've had my K&N FIPK on for a couple of months and yesterday I pulled the filter off and ran my finger around the intake of the MAF. Fortunately it was dry and clean. I guess mine was made between a Tuesday and Thursday. Sounds like a good thing to check every month or so.