Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

K&N FIPK Installed..........WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK Installed..........WOW!

I landed a K&N FIPK today at my local Autozone and couldn't resist. I was reluctant to try it because several people had stated the lost bottom end power when the replaced the stock airbox, and I really didn't want ot lose any more low-end. I unhooked my battery, installed the FIPK, and started it up. First think I noticed was the god-awful drone from my magnaflow muffler had really decreased. I warmed the motor up and then got on it a little from a stoplight and SHAZAM!!! Power power everywhere! Much better than the stock airbox. I got back all the low-end I lost when I put on the magnaflow, and it made my exhaust sound much deeper and the drone was nearly all gone! Best engine mod I think i've done to an LS1 style engine. I could feel and hear a big difference. I think the Thorley headers I have coming and a reprogram will really wake this truck up.

For all the new guys that will someday stumble onto this post using the search, I can highly recommed the FIPK. FWIW I have a 01 Z71 with the only performance mods being a magnaflow muffler at this time. My truck literally leaps from a stop when I punch it now. I know many people have had different results with the FIPK, but my initial reaction is all positive. Autozone sells these for $189.00 as of 10-20-04.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn, didnt know autozone carried them, but I do like mine as well!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Teching In

yeha man i have to say i like mine too and it makes a cool noise....lol
Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tried and true, I still think they are one of the best out there.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GregM
I landed a K&N FIPK today at my local Autozone and couldn't resist. I was reluctant to try it because several people had stated the lost bottom end power when the replaced the stock airbox, and I really didn't want ot lose any more low-end. I unhooked my battery, installed the FIPK, and started it up. First think I noticed was the god-awful drone from my magnaflow muffler had really decreased. I warmed the motor up and then got on it a little from a stoplight and SHAZAM!!! Power power everywhere! Much better than the stock airbox. I got back all the low-end I lost when I put on the magnaflow, and it made my exhaust sound much deeper and the drone was nearly all gone! Best engine mod I think i've done to an LS1 style engine. I could feel and hear a big difference. I think the Thorley headers I have coming and a reprogram will really wake this truck up.

For all the new guys that will someday stumble onto this post using the search, I can highly recommed the FIPK. FWIW I have a 01 Z71 with the only performance mods being a magnaflow muffler at this time. My truck literally leaps from a stop when I punch it now. I know many people have had different results with the FIPK, but my initial reaction is all positive. Autozone sells these for $189.00 as of 10-20-04.

Man,the best price I found last spring was 246.00 at a local speed shop. I have stock exhaust but the intake sound is very pronounced and it seems to go pretty good at times...depending when/where you hit it.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres a I like mine too
Old 10-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Autozone has had them for $189 for quite awhile now, picked mine up several months ago. Quicker throttle response is what I noticed the most.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Our local Autozone must suck then. They quoted me $325 for an FIPK and wanted the money up front. Needless to say they didn't get it, bought a used one off here instead. Love the sound too.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, $189 is a great price. Had mine for about 3 years and I think I paid close to $300 for it from a local speed shop, if I remember correctly. But yea, I'm real happy with it also.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GregM

That is a great price. What is the model number to the one you bought? Is it the polished version?

Thanks

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK Installed..........WOW!