Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

K&N FIPK Installed..........WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jessdog
map? do tell. im a noobie at heart still so Im only familar with the maf's. what is map? aftermarket?
Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor but how it does/doesn't relate to an intake,I don't know.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trotorx2
Try this link http://www.sshotrods.com/performance/gmtruck/

It has some mods for the stock airbox.

So he cut the box on the engine side? Makes no sense to me. Why not cut the front portion of the box that is on the grill side so it could pull cooler air from behind the headlight area? ME thinks this guy cut the wrong side. Or even just punch out a nice 5 inch round hole in the bottom of the box and do the same on the mounting plate and then attach a 5 inch dia. / 8 inch long tube into the open area that is under the box (where a Volant ram air intake would route)?

I see the idea, just dont understand the approach here.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snafudilligad
So he cut the box on the engine side? Makes no sense to me. Why not cut the front portion of the box that is on the grill side so it could pull cooler air from behind the headlight area? ME thinks this guy cut the wrong side. Or even just punch out a nice 5 inch round hole in the bottom of the box and do the same on the mounting plate and then attach a 5 inch dia. / 8 inch long tube into the open area that is under the box (where a Volant ram air intake would route)?

I see the idea, just dont understand the approach here.
I found this link posted on the FSC board months back. I haven't tried this but had thought about it. I think the pictures are deceiving. I think he means to open the side by the fender or the front behind the headlight. I think the stock airbox and tube flows enough air unless you are going forced induction.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

I just installed a Magnaflow kit on my otherwise stock truck. I do have a stock replacement K&N though.....would the UPD give back some of the low end I feel like I lost, along with eliminating some of the drone, or would the FIPK do a better job?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Anyone else see a difference in an elimination of drone with an intake added to a Magnaflow cat back? Was it a big difference?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Like I said, my drone decreased some after I added the intake. My plastic interior pieces were rattling I had so much drone. Its not all gone, but its a lot better.

GregM
Old 11-01-2004, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fluxu8
I just installed a Magnaflow kit on my otherwise stock truck. I do have a stock replacement K&N though.....would the UPD give back some of the low end I feel like I lost, along with eliminating some of the drone, or would the FIPK do a better job?
My Magnaflow doesn't drone very much but I only replaced the stock muffler with the Magnaflow same size replacement. I don't think the UPD will help with the loss of low end either. I think it is a result of lose of some of the back pressure from the muffler change. I really noticed the loss of low end power after the exhaust work. I asked pretty much the same question as you over on the FSC board and didn't get much help. I wish I knew how to get the low end back too.