Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

K&N FIPK v.s. UPD

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 07:12 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK v.s. UPD

Is there really that much of a difference between the two? I see people saying that the UPD w/ ram air mod, is so much better. Just wondering, not trying to be a smart-***. I had put my stock intake w/ a K&N filter back on my truck a few weeks ago. I could feel a ton of difference between the two. I figure if I take my headlight out at the track, that there really wouldn't be any point in switching to the UPD, after already buying the K&N FIPK. Also, when I take the headlight out, do I just disconnect the wiring harnesses? Do I have to disconnect the battery first? (I know, I'm a idiot!)

Does any have any real life tests w/ these two intakes. Like two identical trucks but, just different intakes.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: K&N FIPK v.s. UPD

Here is a thread with my dyno charts posted.
UPD vs K&N Dyno charts thread

As for the headlight, just unplug the wire from the light. Hell some guys take the filter out. Personally, I chuckle when I see that because I don't think it helps at all on a cone filter. But that's me.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Hey 4.8, did the UPD really make 10 more hp than the K&N? I was wanting to do the K&N for the stock airbox letting in water last time I went offroading and frying my MAF. But 8-10hp is worth figuring out a way to make it so water can't get in that easily. Plus its cheaper. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i solod my k&n fipk and bought a upd intake and did the ram air mod.if not for pushing more air which i am sure it does a little through the tube,i do know that the air intake temp cools down much quicker and i usuallt see about a 2 - 5 degrees cooler with this mod. yes you can pull out your headlight and get a litt6le more air. i measured it out and drilled hole in the front of my lower air box for air to enter the front.9i guess if you are just going to try to get as fast as you can at the track then you can pull out your headlight but i dont think someone is going to wait at a redlight while you pull out your headlight to race
Old 08-03-2003, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

ny thoughts are the head light out is not feasable cause you want be running with your headlight out on the street, so what ever time you turn out at the track will be slightly lower for the the street. thats just my view on it. diffinetly the ram air helps i have a 3" tube from the front valence to the bottom of the box. you can diffinetly notice on the highway