Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Knock Retard

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, are these just regular 10K ohm, 1/4 watt, 10% resistors?

A picture would be nice.

After data logging my truck before and after fresh gas with octane additive, I believe my knock is false. But according to your post, it would not hurt anything to put these resistors on the knock sensors.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 11-17-2003, 05:33 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ts99
Yea, are these just regular 10K ohm, 1/4 watt, 10% resistors?

A picture would be nice.

After data logging my truck before and after fresh gas with octane additive, I believe my knock is false. But according to your post, it would not hurt anything to put these resistors on the knock sensors.

Thanks,

Tony
THIS IS IMPORTANT!! octane additive is not enuff to tell if you have real or false knock. most octane addative is only good for a few tenths of a point. you need to get your octane up to 100 or so just for a good test, also you CAN hurt your truck if you use this method to ignor knock that is real.

you wont hurt your truck be adding the resistors(unless you are ignoring real knock), some people set a code but i never did and i know of a couple of other guys that have done it and never got any codes, just reduced sensativity.

i used 10k ohm 1/4watt 5% tolerance, here is a pic of the package, the 10k package is empty but you can see some resistors in the 100k pack. also in the pic is the end of the knock sensor harness, this is a good place to cut the wires. peel the tape back a little, cut the wires about 1" back from the conector, solder one resistor to each wire, solder the other end of the resistor to each of the wires in the harness. i sliped heat shrink tubing over each wire and then a bigger piece over the whole thing.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by parish8
THIS IS IMPORTANT!! octane additive is not enuff to tell if you have real or false knock. most octane addative is only good for a few tenths of a point. you need to get your octane up to 100 or so just for a good test, also you CAN hurt your truck if you use this method to ignor knock that is real.

you wont hurt your truck be adding the resistors(unless you are ignoring real knock), some people set a code but i never did and i know of a couple of other guys that have done it and never got any codes, just reduced sensativity.

i used 10k ohm 1/4watt 5% tolerance, here is a pic of the package, the 10k package is empty but you can see some resistors in the 100k pack. also in the pic is the end of the knock sensor harness, this is a good place to cut the wires. peel the tape back a little, cut the wires about 1" back from the conector, solder one resistor to each wire, solder the other end of the resistor to each of the wires in the harness. i sliped heat shrink tubing over each wire and then a bigger piece over the whole thing.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for taking the time to post pictures. I might try this if I determine I'm getting false knock.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Teching In

I'll run the gas out of the truck and find some 100 octane.

Looks like there are only 2 wires going into the connector, I thought there would be 4 wires, 2 for each sensor.

Do you know which codes were set when others tried the resistor mod?

Thanks again,

Tony
Old 11-17-2003, 11:23 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like newer trucks set the codes and the 99's didn't, not sure, something about low activity or something. if you set a code there is another resitor you can add to each that will help trick the computer into not seeing that you modified it but just try the simple method first.