Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Knock retard V2 going to commit suicide..suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock retard V2 going to commit suicide..suggestions?

Ok, well as some of you might have read in my last post i was getting a constant 4 degrees of kr and it would ping ocasionally and not pull anymore timing. Last night i decided to do some experimenting and messed with the amount it retarded the timing per second in my tunning software, still got a constant 4 degrees. After that i reduced my timing all across the WOT tables by 6 degrees and i still got 4 degrees of kr making the total reduced timing 10 degrees.

I decided i would try putting a resistor inline, so i put a 10k resistor inline with the sensor. Went for a test drive still 4 degrees kr with the normal timing table and the table i reduced the timing in. I would have thought the resistor would have at least made it to where it would retard the timing less... This is where it gets wierd, i decided forget it, im going to make it so the ks won't do anything.

Then I went into the table for maximum knock retard and set it to 0 across, and reduced the timing table by 4 degrees at WOT just in case. I went for a test drive again and got on it and for some reason it fealt stronger (maybe imagination) but whats wierd is i was getting abou 1.5 degrees of kr at the top of gears even though it shouldn't allow it because the table was set to zero all across, now why is that? Would torque management show in kr if it was pulling timing? After that run i wen't back and added in the 4 more degrees and it ran way stronger and no pinging but still getting that 1.5 degrees kr at the top of each gear..

What do you guys think the reason im still getting 1.5 kr with the table set at zero? Also im thinking since there was no reaction to the resistor the ks is probably shot because the resistor should have decreased the amount of kr. I think for now im probably going to run with the ks disabled since im just n/a for now and i think i will be able to catch if something is wrong before it damages the engine, but i definately want to get the sensor working properly because i plan to use my nitrous kit and will definately want it working
Old 02-27-2005, 04:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT suggestions
Old 02-27-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do It!! Do It !!!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the engine with a top end cleaner of any kind? I was seeing alot of KR no matter what I did tuning wise with the timing or AFR. I did a top end clean to clear out any oil or carbon buildup in the cylinders and it pretty much took care of the KR problem. I have a catch can on the PCV line now to help control the oil getting in the engine and things seem to be fine still regarding the KR.

Not sure if that's your problem but, something to look into.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Have you tried cleaning the engine with a top end cleaner of any kind? I was seeing alot of KR no matter what I did tuning wise with the timing or AFR. I did a top end clean to clear out any oil or carbon buildup in the cylinders and it pretty much took care of the KR problem. I have a catch can on the PCV line now to help control the oil getting in the engine and things seem to be fine still regarding the KR.

Not sure if that's your problem but, something to look into.
The engine only has 3k on it, so i don't think there would be a carbon problem.. I have also retarded the timing 6 degrees in the table and still get 4 degrees kr
Old 02-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm.....

How much total timing are you running right now and still seeing KR? Maybe the engine just doesn't like much timing?

I'm outta ideas already.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Hmmmm.....

How much total timing are you running right now and still seeing KR? Maybe the engine just doesn't like much timing?

I'm outta ideas already.
Damn it ... Well the original tune had 32 + 4 in the pe spark advance table , i put the pe table at zero across. Then decreased the timing to 28. I do get some pinging around 32 degrees. I still got 4 degrees of kr at 28, so then i decreased to 24, still got 4 degrees kr, then went to 22 still got 4 degrees kr... So i don't think its a timing problem im pretty sure its something with the knock sensor/the way the computer reads the knock. It will never pull more than 4 or less than 4. the other wierd part is that the resistor didn't change the amount it retarded the timing at all and neither did changing the knock attack rate. Also the thing that confuses me the most is why am i getting 1.5 degrees kr at the top of each gear after is set the maximum allowable knock retard table set at 0, is that torque management (i had tm reduced) ? would it be displayed through knock retard