Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

l76 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default l76 questions

I picked up a l76 the other day with a little cylinder damage but nothing bad at all. I have a few questions about this engine. The bore is 3.988 not 4.00 like most 6.0s. If I was to go .030 over what would be the best set of pistons to buy? perforable forged. and what would the final bore be? 4.030 or 4.018? One of the heads have a little damage but should be able to mill .020 to clean them up. Also to delete the vvt do I just get an LS2 cam sprocket and ls2 timing cover with the cam sensor up front? And as far as DOD I should be good with ls7 lifters and trays and LS2 valley cover? This will be going into a 92 rcsb with a carburetor. So I want to make this as simple as possible. any helps appreciated.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KDavis04ss
Also to delete the vvt do I just get an LS2 cam sprocket and ls2 timing cover with the cam sensor up front? And as far as DOD I should be good with ls7 lifters and trays and LS2 valley cover? This will be going into a 92 rcsb with a carburetor. So I want to make this as simple as possible. any helps appreciated.
yep that'll fix your VVT BUT you already had the LS7 lifters in the motor so just swap the front cover/timing gear, leave the valley cover alone its the same

as far as the bore, you think you'd be able to get away with just a hone job? are you wanting to just build a bored/forged motor? if so go .30 over and the machine shop can tell you want to buy. also if you are going to deck the heads....i would run dish pistons to lower the compression bc boost will blow that motor up with stock pistons
Old 11-07-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
yep that'll fix your VVT BUT you already had the LS7 lifters in the motor so just swap the front cover/timing gear, leave the valley cover alone its the same

as far as the bore, you think you'd be able to get away with just a hone job? are you wanting to just build a bored/forged motor? if so go .30 over and the machine shop can tell you want to buy. also if you are going to deck the heads....i would run dish pistons to lower the compression bc boost will blow that motor up with stock pistons
There was no lifters in the block when I picked it up or no valley cover. so either way I was going to have to get something. I thought DOD had the shitty lifters? A hone job would be perfectly fine but I figured while it was out tore apart it would be the best time to clean them all up and put a good set of rods and pistons in it. Nothing crazy. Not stroked or anything. Just something that will hold some nitrous or boost. I was also thinking about a set of dished pistons to bring it down to 9.5-10 to 1 from its original 10.44 to 1.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM

do the 9:5:1 or 10:1 either way. honestly though the decked heads will raise the compression.

bore it and have fun imo.

the DOD is the shitty lifters, yes. the VVT runs the LS7 lifters/trays.

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...center/sdls2ck
Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
do the 9:5:1 or 10:1 either way. honestly though the decked heads will raise the compression.

bore it and have fun imo.

the DOD is the shitty lifters, yes. the VVT runs the LS7 lifters/trays.

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...center/sdls2ck

Yeah I know about decking the heads but Its not really a choice. Im going to take the least amount off I can to clean them up. And thanks for the link. Im one step closer now. one more quick question. So the L76 doesn't have DOD correct? I thought I read that the truck version had both. which is what I have. I did read somewhere that it had AFM (Active fuel Management) which was the same thing.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM

if you dont have the lifters in it and you are going to replace the lifters dont worry with it. you are going with a new valley cover, lifters, front cover. DOD/VVT is deleted.
buy that kit or peice it together. thats the only site that i've found to have the parts CHEAPER than anywhere else.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

good deal. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

whats the best head gasket to go with if I take it to 4.030?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it were me i wouldn't worry about the size of the current bore size. just pick out the 4.03" pistons and give them to the machine shop to match them up with a correct bore.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
if it were me i wouldn't worry about the size of the current bore size. just pick out the 4.03" pistons and give them to the machine shop to match them up with a correct bore.
ok thanks. looking for a set of pistons now

Quick Reply: l76 questions