Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

L83 lifter failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default L83 lifter failure

Hey everyone, like many others before me I recently had afm/dod lifter collapse on my 2015 Silveraydo that has 119k on it. I want to do the repair as right as possible without replacing the cam (unless necessary due to damage). So I will likely keep the afm lifters but replace them all along with VLOM filter and put a tuner on it to turn off afm/dod. I cannot find any L83 kits to keep the AFM lifters that include all gaskets, lifters, guides, etc. anyone know of any?
Old 03-04-2020, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 553 Likes on 478 Posts

I would just call the places you see these kits and tell them what you are doing. They should be able to piece together your order with the parts you want.

If they won't do that you will just have to buy the parts you need separately. It's really not much that you need. Intake gaskets, new lifters, head bolts, head gaskets. You'll need new fuel lines for the injectors as they are one time use only.

One problem I may see is that there was a shortage of AFM lifters so those may be hard to get.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
I would just call the places you see these kits and tell them what you are doing. They should be able to piece together your order with the parts you want.

If they won't do that you will just have to buy the parts you need separately. It's really not much that you need. Intake gaskets, new lifters, head bolts, head gaskets. You'll need new fuel lines for the injectors as they are one time use only.

One problem I may see is that there was a shortage of AFM lifters so those may be hard to get.
Thanks for the reply. Just got off the phone with the shop. It seems they dropped the engine oil and it had some debris in it so Im guessing it wiped out a roller so it probably will get a cam too at this point. I wanted to keep it stock since it's my daily and I have plenty of other toys but if I end up camming it what is everyone recommending for a stock converter truck that is daily'ed? I saw the stage one cam from GPI, any reviews on it?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

I was recommended the TSP stage 2 L83 cam for my truck... lifted on 35's and tow a trailer ~ once a month... with a stock converter.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by aharp
Hey everyone, like many others before me I recently had afm/dod lifter collapse on my 2015 Silveraydo that has 119k on it. I want to do the repair as right as possible without replacing the cam (unless necessary due to damage). So I will likely keep the afm lifters but replace them all along with VLOM filter and put a tuner on it to turn off afm/dod. I cannot find any L83 kits to keep the AFM lifters that include all gaskets, lifters, guides, etc. anyone know of any?
It's SOP to replace the VLOM when doing an AFM repair. So consider this if there's a remote chance you will activate the system again as mis-timed solenoids are what usually cause the lifters to collapse.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by swathdiver
It's SOP to replace the VLOM when doing an AFM repair. So consider this if there's a remote chance you will activate the system again as mis-timed solenoids are what usually cause the lifters to collapse.
If I choose to do the delete with cam, lifters, blockoffs, tuner, etc. would I need to replace the VLOM? or is it basically useless at that point?
Old 03-06-2020, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I choose to do the delete with cam, lifters, blockoffs, tuner, etc. would I need to replace the VLOM? or is it basically useless at that point?
Useless, would not need it.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by swathdiver
Useless, would not need it.
Ok, so got off the phone with the shop and got some new info it wouldve been nice to have before. Seems they dropped the engine oil and found debris in it. I havent gotten the truck back yet to dive into it and see what is going on but maybe it wiped a lifter roller. At this point with 119k on the truck I might just be money ahead to drop another low mile engine in it.
I have read about lifter failures after turning off afm/dod with a tuner. Does that have to do with a bad or early version VLOM? or just not replacing the filter? does the VLOM only have to do with the afm/dod and not oil supply to the lifters? Sorry for novice questions, I have gobs of engine experience but nearly zero LS experience.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have read about lifter failures after turning off afm/dod with a tuner. Does that have to do with a bad or early version VLOM? or just not replacing the filter? does the VLOM only have to do with the afm/dod and not oil supply to the lifters? Sorry for novice questions, I have gobs of engine experience but nearly zero LS experience.
Oil comes up, passes through the open solenoids and feeds the lifters. When the solenoid closes, the oil to the lifter is shut off and it collapses. AFM lifters are more complex and can wear out without contribution by the VLOM but they are far more reliable than previous generations of lifters; as is the VLOM. Find yourself an AFM oiling diagram on google for the LS or L83 engines for a visual.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Found the culprit. Needle rollers seem to all still be in there but having no idea where all the metal went I went ahead and bought a replacement engine with 29k miles.
The following users liked this post:
swathdiver (03-07-2020)

Quick Reply: L83 lifter failure