Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

L92 to L86/87

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 to L86/87

Did a lot of research on 6.2 swaps unfortunately could not find any threads on my scenario so want to gather some detail from you all (the experts).

I’ve got a 07 NBS Sierra Denali AWD / 6.2, has been a good truck. I’ve got 185k miles on it, still on factory transmission. Other than a few sensors and switches, and some front end work pretty much as it was the day it rolled off the line.

With that said, tranny has been hanging on by a thread for what feels like 80k miles, ive got a rear main oil leak, that is getting worse by the day, I’ve got tons of lifter noise, and the sucker ticks 24/7. I just feel like ole gal is tired. So been considering my options, replace the truck vs rebuild tranny and do some engine work, etc.

I cant help but notice I can find newer Denali/escalade/truck 6.2 long blocks with the tranny, computers and everything for just a little more than what I’ve been quoted on a transmission rebuild.

Wanted to float the idea out there is this doable? Do I need to swap computers? What about my AWD system, which they did away with, I know the newer trannys aren’t 6 speeds. It may be a crazy amount of work, but like I said just considering my options. TIA for any ideas/advice.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

It's not worth it. Nothing else in the truck would function anymore if you went with a full take out unit like you are seeing. It would also require lots of custom tuning just to make that setup function in the older truck but then you'd lose everything else. No more ABS, no more gauge cluster, no AC control or anything of that stuff.

Refreshing your engine and doing a transmission rebuild would be far less of a headache and the truck will still function like it should.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
It's not worth it. Nothing else in the truck would function anymore if you went with a full take out unit like you are seeing. It would also require lots of custom tuning just to make that setup function in the older truck but then you'd lose everything else. No more ABS, no more gauge cluster, no AC control or anything of that stuff.

Refreshing your engine and doing a transmission rebuild would be far less of a headache and the truck will still function like it should.
maybe not the answer I was hoping for, but definitely what I was expecting!

Weird to me how we grow attached to our vehicles, even if we swear we aren’t lol.