Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

L92, turbo 5.3L or??? for a classic truck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92, turbo 5.3L or??? for a classic truck.

Hello, this is my first thread here. I've been reading a short time, but I have questions that I'm having a hard time finding answers to. I figured I'd ask and see what ya'll think.

I'm planning on building a 1970 Chevy C10 long bed into a daily driver. My goal is to take the 40 yr old farm truck, and make it a slick looking performer that makes the daily commute to work fun. It will spend the most of its time on the interstate between my house and work (15 miles each way). I've already got the plans set for the suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, body/paint/interior etc. But I'm back and forth on the drive train. This is where my questions come in.

I'd like to get around 20mpg on the hwy, and put down around 350 hp to the wheels. These numbers don't seem unrealistic, but what do I know, they may be. I'm planning on an LS swap and am just not sure what way to go.

I've been looking at the L92 denali and esclade motors because of the factory power they make. Problem is, they tend to run a little expensive. My budget for the motor/trans and swap is between 5k-7k depending on what I find. So, help me out. What should I look at, and what mods should I make to the motor to get me what I want. Where can I find 6.2L motors at reasonable prices? I'm good with low mileage take outs.

It seems like the 5.3L motors are everywhere and cheap. Would it be cheaper to get a 5.3 and put a entry level turbo kit from Trick on it? I would imagine that would get me the power I want, but temps here tend to get into triple digits, and I would worry about heat being a problem. I know that the turbo would make me run more efficient, and have plenty of power, but I think that the charge temps would be elevated unless it was intercooled, and I'm not sure that would be in the budget.

Also, E85 is an option. I have a pump down the street, but don't want to be limited to running ONLY E85 in case I go on a road trip. I'd like to be able to use both gas, and corn. Is that possible? What modifications do I need to make to use E85? I know that the fuel lines are different, and the injectors are different, but what else.

Also, I do plan on using some sort of forced induction sometime in the future. I've always wanted a turbo/blower set up but have never been able to afford it. I'm almost to that point in my life where I can afford something like that. If it makes any difference in what I should look at. This is not a track truck, its more of a performing cruiser. It will likely not see a track, but will go on long road trips (hopefully with cruise control) and possibly the power tour.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

With your budget you could pick up an LQ4 6.0 / 4L80e AND turbo it.

Don't forget to check in over here and tell 'em Leevon sent ya. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206
Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

The 6.2L would be nice and, they run hard (currently have a 2010 6.2 CC)!!!!

Because of the price, the 5.3 (or even a 6.0) might be a better option. I know that they are all over the place and, from what I've seen, are built really strong. You would probably be able to get a 5.3 W/ a Forced Induction setup for slightly more than the 6.2 (just motor) would be.

You are wanting 20MPG..... gonna be slightly difficult (not sure they weight of your truck) unless using some forced induction........ especially if you go with the 6.2. The 6 speed will help if you can get your hands on one.

People talk about 22MPG etc out of the 5.3 (Personally, I think they really baby it and stay in the 4 cylinder mode) and the 6.2 is usually 1-3 less than the average 5.3....... I personally get 17ish doing 10 over speed limit. When I had my '04 extended cab with the 5.3 I would get 18ish doing same speed........ Both with factory 20" Wheels. I'm a spirited driver in town and, on the highway I usually just set the cruise and roll..... not much playing around.

I'm not a professional by ANY MEANS...!!!! But that is my .02.

Good Luck and keep us updated
Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Leevon
With your budget you could pick up an LQ4 6.0 / 4L80e AND turbo it.

Don't forget to check in over here and tell 'em Leevon sent ya. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206
I'm a member there as well. It is where I have got most of my info on these trucks. But this forum deals more with the performance aspect, which is why I'm here.

A turbo 6.0 would be sweet, but I think I misspoke about the budget. That 5-7k is for the motor/trans and all swap parts including cooling, fuel, and exhaust. So my budget for the motor/trans is about $1500-$4000 depending on what I get.

The rest of the parts I will need include the drive shaft, ($350ish), radiator ($650), Fuel system (just under 1k), Motor/trans mounts and adaptors ($300) and Exhaust (1500ish).

A cammed 6.0 would probably let me hit my goal also. I just wanted to get the opinions here and see if I was missing any options.

According to the web, the dry weight of my truck was somewhere around 3600lbs new. It is probably closer to 4k pounds as it sits now. I'm guessing my curb weight will stay right around 4k when all is said and done.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by tdub_23
The 6.2L would be nice and, they run hard (currently have a 2010 6.2 CC)!!!!

Because of the price, the 5.3 (or even a 6.0) might be a better option. I know that they are all over the place and, from what I've seen, are built really strong. You would probably be able to get a 5.3 W/ a Forced Induction setup for slightly more than the 6.2 (just motor) would be.

You are wanting 20MPG..... gonna be slightly difficult (not sure they weight of your truck) unless using some forced induction........ especially if you go with the 6.2. The 6 speed will help if you can get your hands on one.

People talk about 22MPG etc out of the 5.3 (Personally, I think they really baby it and stay in the 4 cylinder mode) and the 6.2 is usually 1-3 less than the average 5.3....... I personally get 17ish doing 10 over speed limit. When I had my '04 extended cab with the 5.3 I would get 18ish doing same speed........ Both with factory 20" Wheels. I'm a spirited driver in town and, on the highway I usually just set the cruise and roll..... not much playing around.

I'm not a professional by ANY MEANS...!!!! But that is my .02.

Good Luck and keep us updated
Any idea of the weight of your trucks?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 33shooter
Any idea of the weight of your trucks?
Not sure about the 2010 CC. People are saying in the high 5s...... 5800ish. My '04 Ext Cab was about 5400..... if I remember correctly.