Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

lack of tri y headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lack of tri y headers

So why is it that there is so many companies that make the usual 4 into 1 headers but few that make any tri y? cost of making them? They seem to be a proven design and are used in race cars. Can make good torque and still maintain top end hp. Sounds like if someone could come up with some that wont choke top end they would be great for us truck guys. Granted that there are countless designs and configurations for different applications but like most other headers they could pick some middle ground. Not like any off the shelf header is actually the best for anyone but they normally are cheaper and readily available.

sorry been lookin up header designs and theories and burns still seem to be in the top racing teams with 4-2-1 design.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Launching!

I agree Tri Y are the right config for our heavy trucks ........I have been using Doug Thorley Tri Ys on my mild street truck ....... great low end ...............

Check these guys out for some large tube Tri Y's

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/...%20headers.htm
Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

cant say I have seen them before. thought thorley was alone till now. just wish they had actual collectors on them. but nice to know someone else makes them
Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too agree that the tri-y headers are good for our trucks that need as much torque as possible to get the heavy brick moving...speaking of moving, I'm moving this thread out of the internal section and into the GM Engine and Exhaust Performance section where it belongs lol

I've heard great things about the Thorley's...seems like the perfect header for mildly modded daily drivers
Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by budhayes3
get the heavy brick moving...speaking of moving
Nice segway...

I've also seen some dyno comparison's from SBC's that show the Tri-Y's boosting low end torque vs standard 4-into-1 longtube headers. I think in general the public looks at peak HP so the Tri-Y's never really caught on.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
Nice segway...

I've also seen some dyno comparison's from SBC's that show the Tri-Y's boosting low end torque vs standard 4-into-1 longtube headers. I think in general the public looks at peak HP so the Tri-Y's never really caught on.
Right on ...I gave up trying to explain to some why they should consider TriY for a street truck

FYI I just took my Thorleys off my 04 5.3 and retuned to pass a local safety (.truck for sale) it was not an extensive dyno session just a quickie for tuning .......lost anywhere from 18-24lbs of torque in the 1800-2400 range !! Now thats not a comparo over 4 tube headrs but back to manifolds
Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So what brand od tri y will you guys think is better?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 08cheyennesc
So what brand od tri y will you guys think is better?
Well boss, I run Thorley Tri-Y's and love them, but i'm certain if you got in touch with kooks or any of the other major players, they could fab you up a set to your specifications. But then you're talking some serious coin.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wish we had a vendor or tuner who would be interested in a back to back dyno shoot-out for us. It would be nice to have some data for factual comparison.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Wish we had a vendor or tuner who would be interested in a back to back dyno shoot-out for us. It would be nice to have some data for factual comparison.
I'd be awesome of a shop like TX Speed did individual dyno runs with difference products, but that'd cost some time and money from the company

Quick Reply: lack of tri y headers