Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

lack of tri y headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
So then you can look into a stepped header, that starts out with a small prime and gets bigger.. I have never seen anybody post before and after dyno's of the Tri's vs a standard header, def none of a stepped header.. Dyno graphs would be nice to see for sure..
The post was started to discuss lack of tri Y headers for our trucks ...... and why they they may be a better design for a heavy street truck with small relatively stock motors ....

Dyno Info ......for high rpm race engines is a whole different subject .where you can discuss stepped design , merge collectors etcetc ........lots of Dyno info out there ask any racer ...... I have spent alot of time on the dyno with my drag race engine just changing out collectors sizing/ style ......and yes stepped headers too .store bot headers you wont find dyno info cause they all built as a compromise for fit and ease of install and cost
Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am talking about on out trucks. Some dyno papers.. I am not trying to start a huge pissing match here. But you would figure if they work as well as some people say they do their would be more company's making them then there is know?? As far as store bought headers I have do disagree some, all the standard and stepped style headers you can get dyno info for them on our trucks.. If your looking to keep tq down low a smaller prime header will do just that, still allow enough for top end gains..
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

They say that cost and time play a big roll in making tri y headers. But you do have a point about dyno graphs not being readily available with tri y. Not sure why that is maybe since most of our aftermarket started with the car performance trend and carried most of it over to trucks. Guess I really dont know tho. But still wouldnt a smaller tube still end up choking up top on a 4-1 header?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CDN SS
I agee a flat torque curve is what you want but these stock to mild 5.3 dont have a flat torque curve with only 325ci so you want to move the torque peak down low to get the mass moving ........ and small diameter primary tube tri Y will do that better than a 4 tube thats all I'm saying ......... its all about exhaust velocity .for a street truck I will give up some torque at 4500 to have more off idle to 3000 where most of us drive .........if your building a drag race deal then its a different deal .....ti Y headers are a good design for small motors in heavy cars .......big inch high rpm motrs dont need tri Y ......they can use differnt sized collectors to tune the torque band

Yes agree withthe Burns web site but you cant compare a quality $$$ header like Burns to the street design Thorleys, Thorleys wont pull all the way thru to redline and be equal to a 4 tube and were not designed to ........ Burns stuff is tuned to the engine rpm band you build the motor for
I agree with you 100%, which is why I run Tri-Y's myself. As far a the collector issue, I read somewhere a while back that putting collector extensions on, 18in I believe, broadens the torque curve and actually produced more overall torque acrossed the power band. More average torque should equal more Hp at any given RPM
Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Teching In

I tried for over 6 months to get a hold of Thorley because I wanted to run tri-y's. No responses by email or phone. Zero. So f'ck them. I hope they DIAF.

I'm feeling better now, my LPP's just got here.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea a saw the extension deal in a magazine a while back 18 was the magic number for the big block they were using but i would assume every motor is different and plus on the street you run exhaust out anyways
Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by southern_chevy
yea a saw the extension deal in a magazine a while back 18 was the magic number for the big block they were using but i would assume every motor is different and plus on the street you run exhaust out anyways
You are correct sir, on the street one should run the exhaust out. However, while every engine is different, the principle is still the same. By adding a collector extension you are tuning the exhaust. 18" extentions may not be right for everyone, but you can go longer or shorter to tune it. What you have to keep in mind is that after the collector ends, so ends the smooth portion of the flow. Even smooth bent pipes are going to cause turbulance and back pressure. The extensions will just delay that issue for an extra foot or so allowing smoother flow, hence more power. As far as why not every manufacturer is making Tri-y's, well a lot of it is due to the cost and time. They're a complete pain in the butt to produce, but what you get is theoretically a more even and smooth exhaust transition which in theory should make more power even under the curve.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also Stan's Headers:

Old 01-09-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Bellangers look oh so sweet! Are the primaries 1 3/4? Just curious if they had an option for 1 7/8?