Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Leaking LSXRT

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

makes me feel great that comp ground my cam atleast AI checked it out before they sent it to me.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Pretty simple to figure out wha i meant.

PTV is also controlled by where the Cam Gear is indexed correct? Did he have any retainers break before the PTV issue or maybe a spring fail?

It seems like a CNC machine with a programmed logic would have a hard time not producing the correct lobe profile.

I might be wrong as i have only built motorcycle engines.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Well all I know is that he figured that the cam wasn't ground right which isn't a good assumption imo.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

which is why you should always check PTV clearance when installing a cam...or get pistons cut deep like mine and never worry about coming anywhere near PTV issues no matter what size cam
Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Trucks Sponsor

bgray hey buddy I just wanted to give you something to check with the intake before you give up on it. I put one of these intakes on my truck and was having about the same problem just not as bad. But I remembered when I put my injectors back in the bottom of the intake they were crazy tight to get in. So I took it back apart and sure enough it had cut 6 out of 8 lower injector o'rings. So I ended up just finding the correct size o'ring myself and fixing it. Not saying that is your problem but its something to look into....

Last edited by Sales2@SDPC; 08-05-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
I know maybe a yr or so ago they also had a bad batch of hardened blanks or something similar and the facing was grooving/chipping and coming off. That was one of a few reasons why i decided to not get a comp ground cam..
Just add it to the list of comps great quality record..
It was about 3 years ago
Originally Posted by budhayes3
I've seen a few Comp cams with flat lobes, but I think that all of them were using Patriot Gold springs...maybe a spring issue or a bad combo of parts

I haven't heard of any of their pushrod failures...although I may just measure my Comp pushrod length checker to make sure that it's made right!
I narrowed it down to the bad comp batch. All the cams I personally saw with f'ed lobes from comp were from the same timeframe. Other comp cams I installed later with the same springs haven't had a problem. I won't be going with comp anymore for my grinds, probably isky from now on.
Originally Posted by gnd111
Pretty simple to figure out wha i meant.

PTV is also controlled by where the Cam Gear is indexed correct? Did he have any retainers break before the PTV issue or maybe a spring fail?

It seems like a CNC machine with a programmed logic would have a hard time not producing the correct lobe profile.

I might be wrong as i have only built motorcycle engines.
You'd be surprised how screwed up a lot of their stuff is. The cnc machine is only as smart as the person programming it and putting the blank in the fixture. I've never had one cut wrong but I know of more than one person personally who had one cut wrong. I bet there would be a lot more cases if everyone actually degreed their cams.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yet to see one of their truck intakes NOT leak without a good deal of work. It is unfortunate.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I've yet to see one of their truck intakes NOT leak without a good deal of work. It is unfortunate.
This is something i wish i would have known before i ordered but i google searched and never really found any complaints out there.

I am putting it on one of your 404ci motors that currently makes 470rwhp with a 78mm setup so i hope mine won't too many issues..
Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I narrowed it down to the bad comp batch. All the cams I personally saw with f'ed lobes from comp were from the same timeframe. Other comp cams I installed later with the same springs haven't had a problem. I won't be going with comp anymore for my grinds, probably isky from now on
Well that's good to know...I've been leaning towards Crane myself (not that I have the dough to buy anything), and Manley Nextek springs...gonna look at Isky's site now also.

Is Lunati owned by anybody else and/or who grinds their cams? Are they done in-house? I know that they used to be owned by Holley but they sold them about 3 or so years ago...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I was looking forward to getting one of these Intake but not so much anymore. Has anyone else had any problems with their Intake?

Quick Reply: Leaking LSXRT