Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Let's fix my A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's fix my A/C

Noticed the other day that the truck was acting real funny. Normally I will feel the timming pull when the A/C clutch kicks in. But the other day, it just started blowing normal outside warm air. I actually thought I had a fan problem since one of them is not working right now. Truck got hot. That has never happen before. Then I noticed my volt meter dropping down to 12. I'm like WTF?!?!?! These problems kinda went away as quick as they came in. Well today, I drive it for the first time in a week just to get it out of the garage. Decided to drive it to work instead of the beater. Well, everything was fine until about 15 miles into the trip and bam hot air again and no kick in on the A/C clutch. Now, on my Dodge, when it would run low on freon, the clutch would not engage at all. Could I be having the same problem with the Chevy? Power supply looked fine today as well as temps.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:50 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check the freon first before you started trying to trace down any electrical gremlins.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Teching In

This happened to me once with my 2001 silverado. I dont know what happened but everything was ok the next day and I never had another problem with the a/c.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Something a little more obvious, check and make sure you still have your ac belt. Mine broke not too long ago and did the same thing.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

they dont use freon, anymore. i would check jumper the cycling switch and see if a/c clutch kicks on, you probablly have a bad cycling switch. theyre notorious for going out.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:07 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may not be freon, or R12 or whatever, but I'm old enough to remember the good old days of freon, so I'm gonna call it freon til I die.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol, freon works better. its all a conspiracy
Old 06-08-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

it is called r-134a
Old 06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigTex
It may not be freon, or R12 or whatever, but I'm old enough to remember the good old days of freon, so I'm gonna call it freon til I die.

LOL!!!! Heilium for the high voice, Freon for the lows. Not that I...uggg...ever experimented or anything like that.

Found the problem though. It was the belt. I looked at it last night when I got to work, but never reached down and grabed it. Wel this morning, I reached down to check tension and it was broken. Somehow it managed to stay wraped around the pullies holding on with a few threads. I just bought that sucker to a month or so ago. I'll put the spare on and head back to O'Rieliys for my free one.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hink9
they dont use freon, anymore. i would check jumper the cycling switch and see if a/c clutch kicks on, you probablly have a bad cycling switch. theyre notorious for going out.
Can you explain how to jump the cycling switch?

Quick Reply: Let's fix my A/C