Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lets play...Name that broken part

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoChrome
Between the motor swap, pcm issues, fuel pump, tranny, and injectors, I think you have more than enough reasons to let the civic beat you at the next stop light.
Yea, I guess so. Sometimes it's more fun to make them look dumb by not racing at all. When they rev at me, I'll rev back and brake stall waiting for the light to change and when it goes green, just drive off normal. They take off like a wound up hot wheels car and look retarded. I don't race when I have the kids with me.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got any updates for us??
Old 10-25-2005, 06:17 PM

I am still driving easy to work and back. I have a 6.0 coming Saturday. I hope to be doing the swap by the end of next week. The engine is not smoking at all. Sometimes I hear a tap sometimes I don't. Nothing like the original knock noise. I am wondering what all do I need for the swap? I'm thinking about stuff like:
10 qts oil ?
3 gallons of coolant
Oil pan gasket
Radix manifold gasket (I have)
Anything else?
I will be swapping all the accessories, does anything else require gaskets or seals etc? Is my serpentine belt gonna fit?
Suggestions on pulling the engine with the tranny or without? I have to swap the flywheel I assume, don't know if I'm getting one with the other engine.
Do most people take the hood off? I know the whole front clip comes off and you can pretty much pull the motor straight out but thought with the hood off it would be easier to get to things. I dunno. Looking for ideas from those of you have been there. Whatever was broken loose should be sitting in the cat right? I'll get pics when I break it down.

Last edited by 1SlowHoe; 10-25-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I am still driving easy to work and back. I have a 6.0 coming Saturday. I hope to be doing the swap by the end of next week. The engine is not smoking at all. Sometimes I hear a tap sometimes I don't. Nothing like the original knock noise. I am wondering what all do I need for the swap? I'm thinking about stuff like:
10 qts oil ?
3 gallons of coolant
Oil pan gasket
Radix manifold gasket (I have)
Anything else?
I will be swapping all the accessories, s does anything else require gaskets or seals etc? Is my serpentine belt gonna fit?
Suggestions on pulling the engine with the tranny or without? I have to swap the flywheel I assume, don't know if I'm getting one one the other engine.
Do most people take the hood off? I know the whole front clip comes off and you can pretty much pull the motor straight out but thought with the hood off it would be easier to get to things. I dunno. Looking for ideas from those of you have been there. Whatever was broken loose should be sitting in the cat right? I'll get pics when I break it down.

Flywheel/spacer.....I do remember needing that when I swapped mine.

Belt will fit, same engine geometry.

Take the hood off, made my life easier.

Good luck....

Side Note...you might want to start saving for a trans NOW.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Side Note...you might want to start saving for a trans NOW.
Already have one at the tranny shop getting "built" and another in my garage going to FLT to see Chuck when i get some extra $$. Christmas is going to slow that down.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Must be nice to be able to afford two trannies and a 6L.

Hope evreything goes well for you. You have to pull the tranny and motor seperate the trans will catch the lip of bottom of the firewall.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
single digit dreamer

he shouldn't need a flywheel spacer unless he is going with a 4l80e right? just use the 5.3 flexplate.

i never have put any new gaskets on my motor. i dont think you will need a pan gasket.

i usualy can't find the missing piston parts, i dont know where they go but they are gone. ring parts never go away though. they are too tuff to get chewed up.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
single digit dreamer

you will need a fuel system tool. it's a little plastic sleve that slips on the lines to let you unclip them. thats the only special tool i can think of.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:00 PM

The shop I'm using should have one. I'm pretty sure I used that during the radix install. I'm in the Air Force and am going to be doing the swap in the auto hobby shop. There are a couple of mechanics in there that will show you what to do and answer questions. They have the computers to look up torque values etc...Right now I have 1 or 2 guys that are willing to help but neither of them are chevy guys. One Dodge and one Ford. The Ford guy is a hot rodder so he should know the basics. I just wish I could get hold of the Chevy guy I know. He's done a block swap on a Z06 so I think he could help me. Should I get arp rod bolts etc? I'm thinking about a cam/springs/hardened pushrods and spinning a little further than 5800rpm
Old 10-25-2005, 07:02 PM

Blown Chevy...PM me a price on a 255lph inline fuel pump. Can I run that AND the maganvolt or should I just do one or the other? I have the red magnavolt right now, not installed yet.

P.S. No reservoir yet

Quick Reply: Lets play...Name that broken part