Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lets play...Name that broken part

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
the rod bolts were an idea because of the cam and springs leading to me wanting to rev to 6500. So, you're saying if I do not go with the cam/springs, or even if I do, if I dont plan on reving that high the rod bolts are not required?
If I only do the cam and springs and rev only to 6000 do I NEED rockers and hardened push rods? I ask because Vinci wants another 650 for the rocker pkg.

I am not saying they are not required....I am saying I wonder about them being needed on a boosted motor.....wondering if anyone has a comment on that.....

I spin my 5.3 to 6500 daily!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:15 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I am not saying they are not required....I am saying I wonder about them being needed on a boosted motor.....wondering if anyone has a comment on that.....

I spin my 5.3 to 6500 daily!
let me put it another way, if you are in there...do them...I would.

I just dont see it being needed for my application.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You spin yours up to 6500 everyday with no rod bolts correct?
This was after you put in the cam right?
It would be useless to spin a stock cam that high??
Old 10-25-2005, 10:17 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you can swap rod bolts and leave the rods together.

if your not going to rev it past 6500 i wouldn't mess with therod bolts. they are just for rpms and nothing else.

rockers are not needed either. not sure when pushrods are a good idea.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by parish8
yes you can swap rod bolts and leave the rods together.

if your not going to rev it past 6500 i wouldn't mess with therod bolts. they are just for rpms and nothing else.

rockers are not needed either. not sure when pushrods are a good idea.
The Trucker cam is the highest reving on my list and it pulls to 6200. No need to spin higher if that is where the power falls off. I don't know about the GT2-3. BlownChevy is running it and spins to 6500 so I assume that cam makes power at least to 6500. No matter what I go with I won't spin past 6500, in fact I'm scared to go that high...6200 is about as far as I'll be willing to go. So I've decided, no ARP rod bolts. There is a cam poll in the internal engine section. I need more votes
Old 10-25-2005, 10:42 PM
blownerator

The Trucker cam is the highest reving on my list and it pulls to 6200. No need to spin higher if that is where the power falls off. I don't know about the GT2-3. BlownChevy is running it and spins to 6500 so I assume that cam makes power at least to 6500. No matter what I go with I won't spin past 6500, in fact I'm scared to go that high...6200 is about as far as I'll be willing to go. So I've decided, no ARP rod bolts. There is a cam poll in the internal engine section. I need more votes

if you have the motor out, you might as well do the rod bolts it is easy, and cheap insurance.....the pushrods will be fine...you will most definately need to do the valve springs.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:50 PM

Well for $100 bucks I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to do the ARP bolts. What set do I need and what sponsor sells them? I'm looking for a direct link because I have no idea what part number I would need. I will definitely get the springs if I do the cam. This depends on if I can find someone who knows how to install a cam cause I don't Worst case, I'll take the engine to someone and have them put the cam in before I start on it. How much ya think it would be? The engine is right in front of him, should be a quick install for someone who knows what they are doing. OK, give me that ARP bolt link....
Old 10-25-2005, 10:52 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how high you rev it is a prety funny thing. on a stock cam 5800 just sounds like it is going to let go but with the right springs and cam in there you can rev it to 7000rpm and it doesn't sound high at all.

when i was na i took my 6.0 to 6800+ something like 100times a week. it didn't seem high at all, just depends on the cam and springs.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:54 PM
blownerator

Well for $100 bucks I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to do the ARP bolts. What set do I need and what sponsor sells them? I'm looking for a direct link because I have no idea what part number I would need. I will definitely get the springs if I do the cam. This depends on if I can find someone who knows how to install a cam cause I don't Worst case, I'll take the engine to someone and have them put the cam in before I start on it. How much ya think it would be? The engine is right in front of him, should be a quick install for someone who knows what they are doing. OK, give me that ARP bolt link....

all of the stuff you are doing is a walk in the park! Lots of people here to help you!

www.ls1howto.com is a good place read up on some of this.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:55 PM

I guess that is what scares me. You're right at 5800 it sounds like if you tried to go to 6000, the pistons would fly through the hood.

Quick Reply: Lets play...Name that broken part