Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lets Talk E-Fan Set Ups

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also go with LT1 fans...I bought a setup from a 95 Trans Am for $75 shipped and a wiring harness at the local Discount Auto Parts for $35 and have never had a problem. Only takes two 5" long pieces of 1" steel stock to mount the whole thing...VERY easy job and looks factory. As someone else posted, AC at idle is WAY cooler due to full airflow over the AC compressor. HTH.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

I thought the E fans are better for city driving but as far as towing goes, the clutch fan can't be beat. Someone correct me if I am wrong. TIA
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you contact any of the people that have completed auctions for the LS1/LT1 fans on ebay, many will have other sets they will sell you. That's how I got mine. Just emailed people who had a listing that had sold and told them I was looking for a set. that's how I got mine.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I thought the E fans are better for city driving but as far as towing goes, the clutch fan can't be beat. Someone correct me if I am wrong. TIA
I've heard the same thing. I've actually heard that towing with e-fans can be dangerous. But that then brings into question GM's decision to put e-fans into all of their light-duty trucks, even those with tow packages.

The one area that I see as potentially being different is the harness and programming....if the stock PCM, harness, and programming are materially different from what is available to us (i.e. '02 or '03 PCM, Nelson harness, etc.), then us guys who tow could be in for problems.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't believe they were dangerous IF you got the right fan size. IOW, if you need 300 cfm of air and you have a 200 cfm then you are setting yourself up for a desaster.

I would be using the Nelson harness and 05 GM fans that the tow packages have.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got an 05 2500HD and its got a clutch fan, im also looking to swap out to a e-fan, but if its bad for towing because of heat i may have to just deal with it. Anybody know what kind of cmf a stock clutch fan pulls?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Naked AV]I've heard the same thing. I've actually heard that towing with e-fans can be dangerous. [QUOTE]

It seems to me that if you have the proper amount of CFMs being moved the only problem with towing would be that if you had some sort of electrical problem (ie a blown/melted fuse or one of the fan motors dies) while towing, then you are pretty much stranded because the extra heat created from the actual towing can't be dissipated merely by driving 55 MPH with the windows down and the heat going full blast. I have an extra couple of wire leads I carry that would allow me to hook both fans directly to the battery in case I ever have a fan controller take a crap on me. The fan motors seem to be pretty much bulletproof as I've never heard of anyone complain about one dieing on them.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NoChrome
I got an 05 2500HD and its got a clutch fan, im also looking to swap out to a e-fan, but if its bad for towing because of heat i may have to just deal with it. Anybody know what kind of cmf a stock clutch fan pulls?
Good question! Also, the HD trucks already have the 34" radiator, correct? I am seriously considering a swap to e-fans.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01wtahoe
Yes I'm on a budget. I have the 05 fans installed on my Tahoe and they work great and look good too. But I don't want to have to buy another radiator. I was looking for LS1 fans but all the ones in my area that I find are jacked up or they want to much for used parts. To keep this thing cool I have to have atleast 5,000 cfm correct?

Fogle- what year Crown Vic are your fans off of? Does it also have a shroud? Was there alot of modifing to get them to work?CFM?How much do they run$$? How do you have them hooked up? Sorry for all the damn questions.
Later
Danny
off a new body style. prob a 00+. the fan has its own shroud. i used my bottom piece of shroud to set the fan in and made some brackets for the top. they are pretty loud so and they blow pretty good.not sure on the cfm.
mine were free my family owns a body shop and i got them off a wrecked car. i got mine hooked up where they run all the time and i got a switch where i can turn them off.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Teching In

I know that the stock clutch fan was worth -11WHP(un-tuned), mpg depends on your foot and reigon.
I will dig up before and after Dyno Runs.
I am using Flex a Lite "Monster Fans" designed for 34", on 28" Rad.
I will soon be wiring fans to control w/ HPT.
*knocks on wood* no probs. w/ FaL control unit for 40k mi.

I can't imagine how EFans would hurt when towing
11WHP would be roughly 13 HP less drag on the motor.............

Quick Reply: Lets Talk E-Fan Set Ups