Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lets talk intakes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lets talk intakes...

I've been searching and reading a lot of threads and came to a conclusion that wouldn't the airaid jr. intake kit be the best bang for the buck? Everything I read was about eliminating the silencer area of the stock tube and having a straight through tube. Also having a dry filter with the box sealed. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...029+4294839969
That kit has the straight through tube and also retains the factory airbox which is sealed and pulling air through the fender/underneath? The only thing I don't think is good is the oil filter which can then be replaced by a dry filter. Or am I just totally wrong and should buy the volant intake I've been eyeing up?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i noticed a pretty good pickup with my k&n aircharger
Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a cheap like $60 one off ebay, speedingtrack i think was the name. and it fit great and its a metal intake so you can hear it a lil more then plastic ones and the filter is big. you can see it in the body lift sec of my gallery. for the money it is a great intake. if you dont care if its not a brand name id recommend it.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

I want one that's going to have the most performance though. I've been looking at volant, s&b, and outlaw. But if the airaid jr. will perform better then those and keep the stock appearance, even better (especially for smog in CA)
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 AM
Banned

GMPP, uses dry filter, comes with new air box, and looks good and fits great.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jons03
I want one that's going to have the most performance though. I've been looking at volant, s&b, and outlaw. But if the airaid jr. will perform better then those and keep the stock appearance, even better (especially for smog in CA)
You could just mod your stock box and build a custom tube and it would perform just as good as the others for alot less $$$$$

Last edited by 2001si3rr@; 08-30-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I had good luck running the stock box with some minor modding and the Air Raid Intake Tube, with a true flow filter on my old truck.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by L33Z71
I had good luck running the stock box with some minor modding and the Air Raid Intake Tube, with a true flow filter on my old truck.
Is there any advantages of say, a volant cai as compared to doing this?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Honestly, its my opinion that an intake is an intake is an intake. I'd definitely go with a sealed box versus an open filter style intake, but otherwise I'd say no.

The biggest advantage IMO to doing this versus a volant or others is about 150-200 bucks saved. I was able to buy my airaid tube locally brand new for about 90 bucks and then the filter on ebay for like 30 bucks. thats 120 compared to 200+ for most other systems. Realistically, and I don't have any hard numbers to prove it, but your not going to see much power gains from just a CAI swap, most of them show about the same gains no matter how much you spend. IMO go this route and take the $$$$ you save and spend it on something else.

I would be using the Air Aid MIT, stock box, and drop-in filter in my new truck if they were making them already. I just got impatient.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by L33Z71
Honestly, its my opinion that an intake is an intake is an intake. I'd definitely go with a sealed box versus an open filter style intake, but otherwise I'd say no.

The biggest advantage IMO to doing this versus a volant or others is about 150-200 bucks saved. I was able to buy my airaid tube locally brand new for about 90 bucks and then the filter on ebay for like 30 bucks. thats 120 compared to 200+ for most other systems. Realistically, and I don't have any hard numbers to prove it, but your not going to see much power gains from just a CAI swap, most of them show about the same gains no matter how much you spend. IMO go this route and take the $$$$ you save and spend it on something else.

I would be using the Air Aid MIT, stock box, and drop-in filter in my new truck if they were making them already. I just got impatient.
i agree. they all do the same thing. i prefer a sealed box but then again some swear by open element. it just makes sense to me that the sealed box would get cooler air. dont be afraid of an oiled filter either. dont over oil it and there will be no problems.

buy the kit that your looking at, run the oiled filter and use a 3" circle saw to cut a hole in the center/bottom of your factory air box(and the plate below it). take a piece of pvc that fits that hole thats about 12" long and push it through the hole below the fender well so it gets cool air instead of hot engine air. it will flow just as good as any other intake on the market.

Quick Reply: Lets talk intakes...