Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lets talk intakes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

volant looks the nicest. the k&n aircharger i have claims 12hp at the wheels, and i have to say i did notice a little kick after i put it on. it was more power than i expected. i got mie for $215 i think.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL you guys are making a thread about a modification that adds AT MOST 8 rwhp. Seriously who gives a **** about an intake. It's not going to make a DAMN bit of difference if it's 4" or 4.25", new tube, dry, wet,etc. I guarantee you 99% of the people worrying about this issue aren't making anywhere near the power they should to where it would even matter.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Well, I think it matters. Working with everything else that can be "bolt" ons. I'm pretty sure it's going to help make the difference with every other modification someone does. If you have an exhaust and you're letting out more air then stock then there comes a time where it will probably be beneficial if you can flow more air in then what the stock cfm is. 8 HP might be right, if it was by itself. Also, these little things will help some, like in my case with 33's, I need a little more HP and low end torque.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
LOL you guys are making a thread about a modification that adds AT MOST 8 rwhp. Seriously who gives a **** about an intake. It's not going to make a DAMN bit of difference if it's 4" or 4.25", new tube, dry, wet,etc. I guarantee you 99% of the people worrying about this issue aren't making anywhere near the power they should to where it would even matter.

So at what point does the stock intake become a restriction then? I am working on putting together my camed 383. I have to wonder if the stock tube and box can flow 700cfm. (383X6200)/3456=687 cfm and that’s figuring on conservative rpms. I know I won’t be at 6200 rpm all the time but when I do take it there I want it to get all it can.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 4.8T
So at what point does the stock intake become a restriction then? I am working on putting together my camed 383. I have to wonder if the stock tube and box can flow 700cfm. (383X6200)/3456=687 cfm and that’s figuring on conservative rpms. I know I won’t be at 6200 rpm all the time but when I do take it there I want it to get all it can.

Good point, I am running a cammed/exhausted 4.8L on a stock intake system, I spin it up to 6200RPM's on a daily basis with no signs of needing an aftermarket air intake system.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only picked up 6hp yesterday with a long tube header install. So yeah, I'd take the 8hp.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by N4cer
I only picked up 6hp yesterday with a long tube header install. So yeah, I'd take the 8hp.
That's not my point. I have a K&N intake myself so I'm not ******* on anybody for owning one, but I'm saying there is going to be about a 2-3 rwhp difference between two different models of aftermarket intakes so it's silly to argue about which one is "best". Just get the cheapest one that's made of quality parts or make one yourself. K&N isn't any better or worse than volant, they just look different is all.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

I have Airaid CAI and absolutely love it. Could tell the difference right away. Plus it took less that 30min to install.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

That's not my point. I have a K&N intake myself so I'm not ******* on anybody for owning one, but I'm saying there is going to be about a 2-3 rwhp difference between two different models of aftermarket intakes so it's silly to argue about which one is "best". Just get the cheapest one that's made of quality parts or make one yourself. K&N isn't any better or worse than volant, they just look different is all.

Exactly, you'd be hard pressed to find any brand intake that makes more than 5-8 hp no matter how much you spend.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, the difference is so minimal, don't speed tons of money on one. The need for a larger intake is there for some setups. However, let's find better ways to voice our opinions, hot headed threads come about this way. Thread is chill now, keep it that way please.

Quick Reply: Lets talk intakes...