Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Let's talk water to air intercoolers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info, Dave.
Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

thats a big heat exchanger. Ive been thinking about changing my air/air to air/water. I want to be able to run Ice water and to shorten up my intake piping. It will make everything nice and clean. and cool =)
Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by redaddiction
For those that are running air to water I suggest mounting a rear cooler in the bed basically a box that has the he fluid running through copper lines than you can put ice without mixing it into your coolant but instead transfering the heat out of the he fluid. If this doesn't make sense than I will get you pics of what I uses on my 03 cobra that also uses air to water intercooler.
I'd like to see those pics again, thanks red
Old 09-01-2004, 10:10 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are better off in SOME applications to add a larger reservoir. More water, longer to heat it up.....but there is a flip side.....longer to cool it down. The heat exchanger that came with your kit is pretty darn good, I would add a larger reservoir if you are concerned about anything.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:21 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
You are better off in SOME applications to add a larger reservoir. More water, longer to heat it up.....but there is a flip side.....longer to cool it down. The heat exchanger that came with your kit is pretty darn good, I would add a larger reservoir if you are concerned about anything.
Just batting some ideas around. As you know, my radix sits in waiting.
I'm going to be watching IAT's closely stock so I can compare them to a blown motor.

Maybe if one added a larger reservoir and a pair of electric fans the cooldown rate would be closer to standard reservoir size.
Maybe some of that redline water wetter stuff would help too?
Old 09-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Launching!

If you are looking for a cheaper way to enhance the cooling ability of you heat exchanger, look around for heater cores. They have inlet and outlets that are about the right size and run in series with the stock heat exchanger, can provide addtional cooling. I remember seeing a heater core that was about 6"x9" and cost about $30. I think it was for a Ford truck (older, like 60's or 70's, I think).

I had a book mark for a website that let you browse through the heater cores, now I can only find the kind that you have to specify the model make and year. I did make a guess and found an 8" x 6" heater core that has 5/8" inlet and outlet tubes. It is for a :
1975 FORD F-150 PICKUP - 5.9 liter V8 w/ Air
only $34.83
http://www.radiatorexpress.com

The "with out Air" version has the tubes coming out a bit different. Depending on what you have in mind for mounting, one of those might do the trick. Relativly cheap to try. Just add a e-fan.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I once knew a sales rep that had a 12sec turbocharged Audi sedan. He used a windshield washer pump and tank to spray water on his intercooler between runs to help wick away all the built up heat on his air/air IC. Worked pretty good on my radiator last night when I was doing something similar. LOL
STI's and Evo's have that on their cars from the factory. I put one on my wrx when I had it, and it seemed to make a bit of difference. It only costs about $20-25 max to fab one up if you want it to run from your current windshield washer tank, or another $5 if you want a small aftermarket tank. You could actually put a mix of water/rubbing alcohol, and cool it down even faster, or put icewater in the sprayer tank, and spray icewater onto your intercooler. It would be easy and cheap for you guys to do, and might really make a decent difference if you did it right. I can give you all a list of part#'s for the pumps, and you can find the mister nozzles at any wal-mart in the gardening section.

Aaron
Old 09-05-2004, 04:30 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by jimbo95z28
STI's and Evo's have that on their cars from the factory. I put one on my wrx when I had it, and it seemed to make a bit of difference. It only costs about $20-25 max to fab one up if you want it to run from your current windshield washer tank, or another $5 if you want a small aftermarket tank. You could actually put a mix of water/rubbing alcohol, and cool it down even faster, or put icewater in the sprayer tank, and spray icewater onto your intercooler. It would be easy and cheap for you guys to do, and might really make a decent difference if you did it right. I can give you all a list of part#'s for the pumps, and you can find the mister nozzles at any wal-mart in the gardening section.

Aaron
cool, post up the part#'s!

got any pics or links?
Old 09-05-2004, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

ok, this may not be a good idea if you sprung a leak and may be hard on seals, but, alchohol is one of the best fluids at extracting heat. not to mention is dirt cheap.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moregrip
cool, post up the part#'s!

got any pics or links?

I'll go get part #'s for you, and I will try to get some pics.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Let's talk water to air intercoolers!