Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lifted truck...Cam for future

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifted truck...Cam for future

Hey guys.

So in the future I want to try to get FI, I am thinking a maggy. I dont have the money right now for one and it's not going to be a definate thing.

I have an 05 sierra extended cab with 35's and stock 4.10's in the rear. Its a z71 and I do a little bit of offroading, and by offroading I mean I take it out in the desert 3 or 4 times a year and play around nothing too serious.

I want a cam that will give me more power and some good sound; And with FI in mind perhaps plan for the future.

I know a lot of you guys like the gt2-3 cam. Is this a good cam for my application? I want to keep FI in mind with the cam, even if it never happens....

What does changing the stall converter do and would I need to or should I?

I played around with the idea of going 6.0, and maybe bigger once my warranty runs out and I can tinker with it. But mainly I was thinking keep the 5.3, cam it and one day FI...

I have dynatech headers/cats and a magnaflow system after, trueflow intake, and a custom tune from a dyno; I am on the quest the never ending need for more power!

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

the search button is your friend.
the vinci trucker cam, an 02-04 Z06 cam, and the tr224 cam are all good ones...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Keep it small, heavy truck needs torque and fi needs smaller cam with bigger exhaust duration
Old 04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

212/218 cam would be a great choice. You can run it without a Stall and you will be fine, or run with a 2600 stall for great performance with the big tires
Old 04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

to fix the pwoer problem add a TVS2300, Built trans and Rear end..that should keep you happy for a few months
Old 04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had good luck with the Trucker cam.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Trucker cam here also, and one in my buddy's Radix'd truck. When I spoke to Roger Vinci last week, he only had two left. Get good valve springs at the same time.

Get one, your tires will hate you.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

"The search button is your friend." I am pretty familiar with the concept of searching and how forums work. I appreciate the tip, but was looking for more. I have already searched, and there isn't anything like this. With more lifted trucks it seems driving around these days, I know there has to be a few guys in the same boat. I pm'ed someone on here already and they said it would be a good thread to start.

Thanks for the rest of the help though. There is a lot of good info and suggestions.
Another question though, I dont think anyone touched on it. Why would someone mess with the stall converter and how does changing it in either direction help or hurt you?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Trucker cam here also, and one in my buddy's Radix'd truck. When I spoke to Roger Vinci last week, he only had two left. Get good valve springs at the same time.

Get one, your tires will hate you.
Make that one left, if any Ordered mine last Monday and UPS delivered it Friday. It will eventually be going in my LQ9 with WCCH StageII heads and a 2600 verter.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz
Another question though, I dont think anyone touched on it. Why would someone mess with the stall converter and how does changing it in either direction help or hurt you?
A higher stalled torque converter will slip up to a higher RPM to get the engine in it's sweet spot sooner. Larger cams with more duration typically start to make power later in the RPM range, so a high stall converter gets you there faster. A general rule of thumb, the bigger the cam, the higher the stall...

IMO, even stock Chevy GenIII engines can benefit from higher stalled tq converters, as low end torque isn't their strong point, but they really seem to shine up top, especially when the intake and exhaust components are nicely matched

Quick Reply: Lifted truck...Cam for future