Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Light vibration/shake through steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diehardchevy
i had the same problem with my 20's. once i took them off the shaking went away. the tire store told me the were a straight set but when i called the wheel manufacturer they told me i must of bent a wheel, total BS they were new. but anyhow as soon as i took them off the shaking would go away. i would see of you can find an old set and mount them on the truck and see if it goes away.
Truck was straight with the 20's on.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FLATOP08
I had the same thing happen to me. The problem was the retainer washer on the stud from the factory. The American Racing wheels didn't have the groove on the back side to go over the retainer, so the wheel never seated flush to the rotor. Once I figured that out the shake was gone.
I left the retainers off when I changed the rotors way back before the 20's were even installed.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

I am going to have the drive shafts and u-joints looked at. I think I have been hearing a bad u-joint lately when changing from D to R and vise versa.

I am also going to have the rack and idler arm looked at. The sidewalls on these tire are very stiff and I think I might be picking up excessive road feedback In the steering wheel from worn steering parts.

=Dave
Old 11-30-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am sorry i wasn't real clear on that post, my 20's balanced straight as an arrow but evedently the was enough of a bend in them to cause the same thing you are describing. i would try a different set of wheels and tires and see if that helps. if it does then you know the problem. if not well......................
Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by diehardchevy
i am sorry i wasn't real clear on that post, my 20's balanced straight as an arrow but evedently the was enough of a bend in them to cause the same thing you are describing. i would try a different set of wheels and tires and see if that helps. if it does then you know the problem. if not well......................
This is actually the second new set of tires on these AR rims (within 1 week). I brought the first set back and had the tire dealer give me 4 new tires because I thought they were the problem.

I also had the tire shop put the AR rims on the high speed balancer without the tires to check for roundness, bends, and center. I was actually standing over the machine while each rim was spun, and I checked from every possible angle for defects but none showed.

These 17" Ar rims and new tires are much lighter than the 20's. It might be possible the extra weight of the 20's was enough to slow/stop/absorb the vibration in the steering wheel from worn steering gear?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:22 PM
Launching!

what kind of balance are you getting. I know at work the boss says a static balance won't balance out too great. I also have a little problem on my truck but I am figuring it is from the static balance. There could also be tread cupping maybe?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WillPewter2000
what kind of balance are you getting. I know at work the boss says a static balance won't balance out too great. I also have a little problem on my truck but I am figuring it is from the static balance. There could also be tread cupping maybe?
Tires are being balnced on a high speed balancer and using 1.00 or less for each wheel.

I don't belive there is any cupping on the treads. This is also the 2nd set of new tires. I don't think I could get 8 tires from 2 seperate brands that are causing the same vibration (first set I used was uniroyals).