Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lightning vs. Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lightning vs. Silverado

Hello All:

I am new to this board and to Chevy trucks, so please pardon my ignorance. I have come from a Ford background, so I am learning the Light side of the force at this moment...
I am in the current process of purchasing a new 03 5.3 Silverado RCSB. I love the truck, and I know if will last forever due to the fact that Chevrolet can build a great truck...I had a Lightning and sold it so my wife could purchase a family car. So, not wanting to go the Ford route again, due to the company getting ready to basically go out of business and crap for workmanship, I am buying this Chevy. My goal is to make it a Lightning Killer, however this certainly will not be an overnight process. I would like to decrease the compression on it so I can go heads/cam/sc route, but I have a friend that builds Vettes as well as Lightnings (a very reputable tuner) telling me in order to get this truck to be a Lightning it will be WAY too expensive and it is an endeavor leading to failure (He said Silverados have a crap rear-end, bad tranny for hp, etc). I hate to debate him since he is quite knowledgeable in these matters, but it is tough to believe this since we are talking the almighty LS1, but on the other hand I am unsure how much the block, internals, and tranny can handle since I am a newbie.

I was looking at the stg II Patriot LS6 heads, custom cam, LS6 intake, and a good tune will be more than enough to get me started. The Whipple would come later next year. So tell me, where is this flawed and where do I need to change the combo, if at all? I will most likely build a forged/built 6.0 down the road, but in the meantime I would like to go heads/cam, etc to get minimum 330rwhp. Please, Please help me out so I do not get off on a bad start on this...Thanks for your help.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

You came to the right place! The engine can handle quite a bit of power adders. There are guys here that have run low 12's on stock internals on a regular basis with no issues (a couple in 11sec).
Your friend was correct about the tranny. The 4L60 will need to be properly built to handle power much over stock, plan on doing this. The rearend is strong enough except the stock locker is not the best choice for power. A Eaton posi should be all you need.
Everyone here can steer you in the right direction
Old 11-05-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by L82gofast
You came to the right place! The engine can handle quite a bit of power adders. There are guys here that have run low 12's on stock internals on a regular basis with no issues (a couple in 11sec).
Your friend was correct about the tranny. The 4L60 will need to be properly built to handle power much over stock, plan on doing this. The rearend is strong enough except the stock locker is not the best choice for power. A Eaton posi should be all you need.

ya, what he said. you will have an "L" killer in no time. welcome to the board
Old 11-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input so far, I appreciate it! I am looking forward to being a part of this group. What do you think of the parts I mentioned, are they a good place to start, or should I change something??
Old 11-05-2003, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

You might want to skip the LS6 manifold. The truck manifolds flow just about as good and it sits higher. So using the LS6 would mean you need to reroute some accesories/belt, and the outlet on the water pump will be in your way. Not sure it would be worth any very small gains you might see.

Mike
Old 11-05-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

I havent been able to figure out how these rear ends have been able to stand up to the abuse that people on this site have been throwing into them. They are a pretty wimpy rear end. But i dont see a point in doing anything to them because they have been getting the job done for these guys for a long time. Definately change out the posi though, the stock ones suck
Old 11-05-2003, 04:13 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to skip the LS6 manifold. The truck manifolds flow just about as good and it sits higher. So using the LS6 would mean you need to reroute some accesories/belt, and the outlet on the water pump will be in your way. Not sure it would be worth any very small gains you might see.

Mike
the ls1 intake isnt worth swap the ls6 is worth it. best flowing intake for
gm. and the lockers alot of ppl are running heavy wheels. too much weight
on anything isnt good. beating a lighting shouldnt be hard at all. if you take in the amount of money
you saved over a lightning. use that amount on mods and tell a lightning owner to you if your running
rich or not. when he sees your exhaust. 380hp lightings a little harder for
a very lightly 5.3 to play with. on the other hand the 360hp lightnings are fun to play with!!!!!!
TECH Senior Member

Your stuff looks nice. You might consider regular LS1 heads though. I'm not sure which has the bigger combustion chamber. I would go with which ever one has the bigger chamber to lower your CR. As for a cam .. can't help ya much there other than suggesting you give CompCams a call and see what they think. You should get a blower friendly cam though so you will benefit even more when you add the boost.

Instead of the Whipple I would suggest the Radix from MagnaCharger. It is very similar to what comes on the Lightnings and Cobras, except a little bigger compressor and the pulleys are interchangable without having to change the whole entire noce piece.

You will definantly have to do some tranny work if not just buy a whole new tranny from someone like FLP or something.

As for the rear end, it will last as long as you treat it right. When you do bust the tires loose, don't let one spin. Only let them spin when the diff will lock up. Eaton claims it will only lock at speeds under 20. I have found that if it locks under 20, it will stay locked until it isn't needed anymore, but at a 25 roll, it will peg leg. A lot of people are going to the Eaton Posi's with a gear swap. I really haven't heard of to many of the guys blowing up the rear diff on the new body style trucks.

As for the manifold .. definantly ditch that idea. If you ended up going with the MagnaCharger system, you wouldn't have to worry about that anyways. It replaces everything from the manifold up including injectors, fuel rails and some other pieces. It does use some of the same sensors though. It is a nice kit and the only roots/twin screw setup for our trucks with an intercooler.
12 Second Club

Hey man, I come from the same boat.......had a 01 Lightning (basic bolt ons, PSP tuned + 50 shot, ran 12.3 @111 officially and 11s "unofficially") - but of course, threw a rod even tho many precautions were taken.......and long story short, here I am with a 03 Sierra.

I have the basic intake/exhaust/stall/Predator tuning - but most likely next year I am going to either get my tranny built up or swap it for a FLP tranny, get some cold plugs a good tune, and spray about a 100 shot. Should easily send me into the 12s. I am going this route b/c I can probably get a really trick nitrous setup + the tranny for less or just as much as a supercharger, and be just as quick - someday I'd like to swap in a 6.0 (externally identical to 5.3) + built tranny and shoot for 11s with nitrous. Its been done before.....Parish will probably chime in......

But if money is no object, the built tranny+s/c route is a definite way to see some Lightnings in the rearview.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:12 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just totaled up what I have in my truck. I built it to do exactly what you are going for. I had a 2000 Lightning and decided to build a Chevy that could perform better. $40,000 later (including 26,000 for the truck) i am there. The main ingredients are a s/c, built tranny and an Eaton in the rear and a lot of patience. Good luck and go kick some ford butt!!

Quick Reply: Lightning vs. Silverado