Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Long tube headers=check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh hell ill jump on this bandwagon too, +another for a real tune
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same prob with mine simple tune took care of tat pesky light
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

When I put headers on my truck, it did the same thing. A good tune not only made it run better and sound different, it fixed the SES light and O2 codes. The first time I took it in for another problem (a water leak from the sunroof), about ten minutes later the service writer came running into the waiting room and proudly told me that I had voided my warranty and that the truck now has a complete warranty block. 1) I will never go back to that dealer again 2) He did not tell me why they hooked it to diagnostic equipment, possibly a TSB 3) I have not had any further warranty claims to try the "warranty block" he told me was assigned to my truck. Moral of the story, if you aren't good friends with your dealer service department and do a tune, you run the chance of voiding your warranty. Good luck and nice truck!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

They can't warranty block your sunroof because you have a tune and headers! That dealer is an *ss.

Mike
Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL
x(insert variable here) on the tune! Your running VERY lean with long tubes and no tune. Toss the handheld you have and get a mail order or a local shop tune.

Originally Posted by BuyAmericanIron
When I put headers on my truck, it did the same thing. A good tune not only made it run better and sound different, it fixed the SES light and O2 codes. The first time I took it in for another problem (a water leak from the sunroof), about ten minutes later the service writer came running into the waiting room and proudly told me that I had voided my warranty and that the truck now has a complete warranty block. 1) I will never go back to that dealer again 2) He did not tell me why they hooked it to diagnostic equipment, possibly a TSB 3) I have not had any further warranty claims to try the "warranty block" he told me was assigned to my truck. Moral of the story, if you aren't good friends with your dealer service department and do a tune, you run the chance of voiding your warranty. Good luck and nice truck!
As far as the Warrenty......sounds like a lawsuit (or atleast a threat). Blocking a warrenty claim on objects that do not have anything to do with mods is bullcrap. How do headers f-ck up a sunroof seal? How does a tune mess up leather de-laminating from a door panel? Obviously these are examples but you get my point. There is no reason for a "Complete Warranty Block" From what I understand GM has really put a hold on any drivetrain mods.

*Edit* FYI: The SEMA website has more information issues like this.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

When you say SEMA your talking about Specialty Equipment Market Association not the car show correct ? lol

and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act should be what protects you from them doing a full block
Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Parke10
When you say SEMA your talking about Specialty Equipment Market Association not the car show correct ? lol

and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act should be what protects you from them doing a full block
word, tell them you'll see them in court

you could take it to another dealer, but it would be way more fun to take them to court for being ra-tarded
Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by h20son
word, tell them you'll see them in court

you could take it to another dealer, but it would be way more fun to take them to court for being ra-tarded
A lot of people that work at dealerships are re-tarded.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 08Chevy
A lot of people that work at dealerships are re-tarded.
Agreed, that's why I quit

They're all lazy and want nothing better than to play on the internet all day, techs all need work but don't want hard stuff, service writers are just plain useless, that's why all of them bitch and moan when modified vehicles come in, nobody wants to put any effort forth
Old 12-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by BuyAmericanIron
I'd take it back and make him work on it. A tune can NOT void your warranty to fix a sunroof. Now If you burned up a trans then yes he can refuse warranty work. Anything NOT directly related to the modification must be warrantied according to the Magnuson Moss Act.
Sounds to me he just didn't want to do the work.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers=check engine light?