Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Long Tube's and no Cats and Just moved to Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Tube's and no Cats and Just moved to Texas

So I have to pass an emissions test to get my truck licensed. It currently has LT's and no Cats. I don't care to add some after market cats but am worried about finding a shop to do it. I read the EPA regulations and one of the reason you could replace the stock cats would be if the vehicle showed up at the repair shop without any.

So reading that it sounds like I could show up at the shop with the truck with no cats on and they could legally add some after market cats.. I guess a hang up could be they wouldn't end up in the stock location.

Anyone have any idea if this may work to get my truck licensed? or a good shop in DFW that I could at least call and discuss what my options are?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Find someone willing to do an inspection is all I have to say.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

I had my exhaust guy add aftermarket cats with my exhaust install but they would not touch it without a cat install.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Scotts plan 1

Just go to a mexican exhaust shop as plan #2.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott's plan is the easiest if you can find someone to do it...a lot of places that used to do that around here have gotten pinched and lost their licenses over the last few years, not sure what it's like in Texas. How often do you get smogged in Texas?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Scott's plan is the easiest if you can find someone to do it...a lot of places that used to do that around here have gotten pinched and lost their licenses over the last few years, not sure what it's like in Texas. How often do you get smogged in Texas?
Every year when your inspection is up. That is dependent on if you live in an area where emissions is tested.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No smogging in Texas. If you try and get an expection straight up, it's going to be very hard. You need to make friends with someone at a shop, or just get to know the right people. Basically paying more money isn't going to do it anymore, it is pretty much going to have to be a hook up.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

OR get a tune.

I just got my truck inspected and i passed.... No Cats, running open loop (screws up the EVAP readiness), no O2 sensors ( so thats no sensor and heaters 2 strikes with that one), MAF turned off, etc... i passed all the readiness tests no problem, and my idle was lowered to 650 and it was loping like a **** in the service bay...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You could always just stick the stock exhaust back on. It wouldn't take more than 5 hours or so. Get your 2 year inspection and then pull it off. yeah, it s a pain, but Im always nervous about trying to pay off an inspector.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
OR get a tune.

I just got my truck inspected and i passed.... No Cats, running open loop (screws up the EVAP readiness), no O2 sensors ( so thats no sensor and heaters 2 strikes with that one), MAF turned off, etc... i passed all the readiness tests no problem, and my idle was lowered to 650 and it was loping like a **** in the service bay...
No visual inspection? That's the biggest problem here...if your vehicle is a 96+, your emissions are done with an OBDII diagnostic port plug-in, so PCM tuning can take care of most of it, as long as the readiness tests are complete. The cats must be in place though, they stick a big mirror under your vehicle. If they really wanted to bust ***** I suppose they could still bust me for the LT's and the cats being re-located, but so far I've been lucky.

Quick Reply: Long Tube's and no Cats and Just moved to Texas