Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Long Tube's and no Cats and Just moved to Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
No visual inspection? That's the biggest problem here...if your vehicle is a 96+, your emissions are done with an OBDII diagnostic port plug-in, so PCM tuning can take care of most of it, as long as the readiness tests are complete. The cats must be in place though, they stick a big mirror under your vehicle. If they really wanted to bust ***** I suppose they could still bust me for the LT's and the cats being re-located, but so far I've been lucky.
Hell, technically even re-locating the stock cat position is a federal offense
Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

i thought I was gonna fail my last inspection because it took so long but turns out the staff was under my truck in the texaco oil bay gawking at my dual set-up with cats and all from underneath.................it sounded awsome. it was weird to watch someone drive away in my truck but you get a whole different perspective on the sound.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as theirs no check engine light, there shouldn't be a problem. i just got mine inspected not too long ago, all the do is hook it up to the scanned and look for codes.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

Yeah, you are right, but I throw random misfires every now and then so I was nervous.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where im at in texas all they do is a visual inspection for cats, so no sniffer test here! i gutted my cats as soon as i got the truck, still havent tuned it to turn off the rear O2 sensors but luckily i havent thrown a code yet. id go with what the first guy said, find somewhere thatll do the inspection and look the other way about the cats. just dont go cruisin with open headers or anything to get you pulled over or you could screw the shop over pretty bad.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as there are no codes you wont have a problem unless the shop actually looks under it. Mine is low enough that they would have to lay down and slide under the frame so its not easy to see under. also when i got it inspected my truck sat there idling while he hooked everything up. everyone in there could have smelled it. if you stand at the back your eyes would water. But no one said a thing and it passed just fine. no bribes needed.
And when i left i open the cutout so i am sure they were like WTF...
Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dlt76028
as long as theirs no check engine light, there shouldn't be a problem. i just got mine inspected not too long ago, all the do is hook it up to the scanned and look for codes.
...look for codes and check to make sure that the readiness tests have completed. If the readiness tests have not completed, you will fail and have to come back in hopes that the monitors have run. More than once I have taken a customer's car on a test drive with the scan tool hooked up to it waiting for the readiness tests to complete...some of them, such as the evap monitor, can be tough, as there are a bunch of parameters that have to be met before the monitor will even run (at least on Toyota/Lexus). These parameters include ambient temp (not below 0*F or above 97*F), must maintain a certain vehicle speed for a certain amount of time (can't remember the numbers), gas tank must be between 1/4 and 3/4 full, engine temp...there may be something else but it's late and my mind is now mush lol.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had no cats for over 4 years. they have never even looked under my truck..... just hook up the ole OBD2 port
Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
No visual inspection?
Hmmmm, well the dumbass looked under there and basically said, why didn't I have dual... Stupid **** said the same thing last year... Next year i think i am going to roll up in there with the cutout open just to **** with them...
Old 11-12-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sounds like some of you guys have a hassel getting your inspections done. Only **** I've been given was for my cutout. My dumbass forgot to close it. Inspector told me to close it up and it would be good to go.

Quick Reply: Long Tube's and no Cats and Just moved to Texas