Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Long Tubes and ORY and dealing with emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Tubes and ORY and dealing with emissions

I would like to shop around for a good set of LT's/ORY before switching to FI on 5.3L, however my concern is CEL's or visual inspection failure and last something too loud or likely to drone on highway

So what options are out their with high flow cats and somewhat mild in terms of noise?

Or would I be ok with the typical LT's/ORY no cats with OBDII plug in emissions (assuming solely just requires a retune)
Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no cats and tune the rear o2s out and should be fine. around here iv never had anyone look visually(not sure your location)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

All depends on the area you live in and how emissions are performed there. In MD they just do a plug in and that is it. Every once in a blue moon they will put the mirror under to do a visual. 9 times out of 10 the people they hire have no clue what they are looking for anyways. The OBX style longtubes work nice since they have a resonoator which looks like a cat so it will pass a visual and cut back on some resonance and rasp as well. I have the ebay/obx longtubes with the resonators with a 14" magnaflow and a 3" tailpipe. Very mellow at idle and cruising. Once you romp on it is when all hell breaks loose. Have some drone from 55-70ish. But nothing the radio cant fix. To take care of the CEL have a tuner tune the rear O2's out and you are good to go.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1CLNY2K
All depends on the area you live in and how emissions are performed there. In MD they just do a plug in and that is it. Every once in a blue moon they will put the mirror under to do a visual. 9 times out of 10 the people they hire have no clue what they are looking for anyways. The OBX style longtubes work nice since they have a resonoator which looks like a cat so it will pass a visual and cut back on some resonance and rasp as well. I have the ebay/obx longtubes with the resonators with a 14" magnaflow and a 3" tailpipe. Very mellow at idle and cruising. Once you romp on it is when all hell breaks loose. Have some drone from 55-70ish. But nothing the radio cant fix. To take care of the CEL have a tuner tune the rear O2's out and you are good to go.
Exactly the response I was looking for, I am also located in MD and do not recall them doing a visual on any of my previous vehicles.. I am also looking at the eBay/OBX LT's or LPP's and was looking for anything that had any sort of resonator (simulates the look of a cat) or single cat on the system..
I have a MBRP right now and it drones, yesterday was the first day I took it on the highway since installing Saturday.. Which is also making me consider a resonator anyways or possibly switching to a Corsa

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

I just went through emissions today in Columbia and they took the mirror around the truck, but didnt even look down at the mirror LOL. If you go with the LPP's then just take it to the one on Erdman Ave. Those guys could give two craps over there. I took my Bronco II over there with dumped headers with the 2.9 and it passed somehow. As far as the drone you could add a 18" bullet muffler before the MBRP muffler. Always could go with corsa if you have the coin and sell the MBRP on CL.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can also buy the siliconvalley dummy cats. Its a tube with a stamped cat over it.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1CLNY2K
I just went through emissions today in Columbia and they took the mirror around the truck, but didnt even look down at the mirror LOL. If you go with the LPP's then just take it to the one on Erdman Ave. Those guys could give two craps over there. I took my Bronco II over there with dumped headers with the 2.9 and it passed somehow. As far as the drone you could add a 18" bullet muffler before the MBRP muffler. Always could go with corsa if you have the coin and sell the MBRP on CL.
Probably my best option, contemplating the Cor$a more and more... Same I was thinking about VEIP some stations could care less.. Big thanks for your input
Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pasadenaman
you can also buy the siliconvalley dummy cats. Its a tube with a stamped cat over it.
Interesting, my search turned up nothing.. Got a link?