Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Look out world, I purchased me some ET Performance heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I have stock 243's with stock valves and VJ. The only work done to them is they've been milled down .007 to ensure straightness and to true up the sealing surface. Also there has been some hand porting done on both the intake and exhaust bowl areas. (pics to come when they're for sale). The package I am moving into consists of ETP heads, rocker stands and pushrods. Hopefully my preload comes out within an acceptable range with the supplied pushrods so I don't have to buy new ones

At any rate I've been weighing A LOT of options in the last few weeks and just couldn't go with the L92 heads. I'd have to mill them to the max, run a thin head gasket and then probably have to flycut the pistons, that wasn't gonna cut it. Back to the cathederal port heads, while shopping these just kind of fell into my lap. Once I found out what they were and what they were capable of I had to have them. Hopefully I have them by the end of the week, I'll check for any potential issues and then in another couple of weeks I'll have them installed.

Last edited by hirdlej; 07-08-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:09 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have had the 243 done by TEA to keep the cost down, just an idea.
their stg2 flow 320 @ .600
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

It's not all about flow numbers, these heads have a lot of other advantages over the stock castings. With the 11 degree heads it allows for tons more PTV clearance if I should so ever decide to upgrade to a larger duration cam. The heads also are a lot more dense so they're a stronger casting than the gm ones. Also there'll be no down time with swapping heads as opposed to sending my 243's in for work. I believe the benefits outweigh the cost by going to the etp heads.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
TVI
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hirdlej
TVI and ZR1, were you guys watching the heads too??
Nah, I saw your post over on H/C. I really think the ETP's will work out for you.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
you could have had the 243 done by TEA to keep the cost down, just an idea.
their stg2 flow 320 @ .600
I did that with the set of heads I had before these. I won't again. I'll send some AFRs or TFS heads to TEA, but unless I'm on a tight budget I won't skimp out on heads. They play too big of a role in an NA motor.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING
I did that with the set of heads I had before these. I won't again. I'll send some AFRs or TFS heads to TEA, but unless I'm on a tight budget I won't skimp out on heads. They play too big of a role in an NA motor.
humm thats the first i hear.
what was wrong with them that you didn't like? others seem to be having good luck with them...
Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
humm thats the first i hear.
what was wrong with them that you didn't like? others seem to be having good luck with them...
Don't get me wrong, they worked good for what they were. But I've seen far better results with aftermarket heads. ETP, AFR, TFS are WORTH THE MONEY if you're serious about NA power. PRC, TSP, WCCH, 243s are decent but any head porter will tell you that there's much left on the table. Peak flow #s look good on paper but results are where I've made my mind up.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^For instance, I have seen a back to back dyno pull on a set of PRC 2.5 heads and TFS 215 heads, all other variables the same. RWHP difference at peak was just over 20, and under the curve was noticably better. That's not the only instance, but I don't want to ***** up the OP's thread.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

***** away, I plan on strapping this bad boy on the dyno after retuning with the new heads. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the power curves
Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

sounds like you got a good deal! im scared to pull the trigger on some heads aswell, might have to just bite the bullet and do it like you...

Quick Reply: Look out world, I purchased me some ET Performance heads