Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

looking to do a head and cam pack with magnacharger radix...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: looking to do a head and cam pack with magnacharger radix...

Remember, ported heads will lower your boost also. I would be unsure of raising the boost on a Heads/Cam/Magna with a stock trans or even a built one...it seems that 500-600rwtq is about the limit on a fully built 4L60E with a 5000lbs+ vehicle. I would be prepared to shell out ~$2000 to get the trans built pretty soon too.

I'd get a more streetable and docile cam also. 228/228 .571" is huge for a truck/SUV. That cam would rev past 6200 easily and would put more stress on the rod bolts too. I'd look at like a 214/220 or 216/224...get them advanced a bit to bring the power down too. The dual pattern is better for FI/spray too.

I'd consider stock 6.0 aluminum heads, decent cam, and that blower. You will be pushing the limits of the rest of the driveline with that.

Oh to get the most from that blower setup, you will need a good set of mid or long tube headers, at least 2.5" duals (I'd go with 3"), and free flow mufflers like Magnaflow/Corsa/Etc. Flowmaster isn't good for FI/tons power.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

We're going to be putting a package on a local customer's 4.8 in a few weeks - Street Eliminator heads, cam and a Radix supercharger. It should really wake that truck up!

Old 07-10-2003, 04:56 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call me crazy but i think you will be wasting your money with heads and a radix, a cam would be nice though.

what does a radix run for boost stock? i am going to say it can run 8-9psi without detonation on pumpgas. now put a cam in that thing, headers and drop the compresion a little with forged pistons or 6.0 heads and how much boost can it run? going to guess 11-12psi on good pump gas since it is low compresion and intercooled.

how much can that radix flow? i bet on that set up it would be maxed out. now put heads on there too and what do you have?? same airflow, same power.

could be wrong about that but that is about when the whipple would run out and i think it is a bigger unit than the radix. need more info like a compresor map for the radix.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh I also forgot...

You don't want valves that large on the 3.78" 5.3 bore. You will crowd the combustion chamber and most likely lose power. I'd figure the 1.9-1.95 would be plenty large for the intake valve.

Cam wise a 114lsa will idle a bit more smoothly than a 112 or 110lsa.

You will be fine with 6-9psi with stock pistons, the weakest part of the Gen III motors are the rod bolts, then I'd say pistons. They have steel cranks and powered steel rods with fractured main caps from the factory...Mercedes AMG uses fractured steel rods too!
Old 07-10-2003, 05:06 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am so confused now....

I want to build a motor during winter and I just cant decide what to do.

6.0, 5.3?

Heads and cam, which set up?

Trans is built (3rd time)

4:10 gears and posi is in

Radix is on now with 9 lbs of boost. 13 lb pully is used at the track.

Arghhhh, I want a nice mid 12 sec truck daily drivin, with out NOS. The next time at the track I am expecting a 12.8 or 12.9 with the changes I am making now. I would like to see mid to low 12's if possible.

Money is an obsticle but not a mojor one, I would like to stay senseable about all this. I do own the truck so its not like I am going to give it back at the end of a lease or something. I am already burried in this truck waste deep anyhow, might as well go big!

Old 07-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Teching In

What you think about this cam?

Camshaft Specs: Valve Lift Duration Duration@.050
in: .559" 267º 214º
ex: .566" 275º 222º

Centerline - 111º
Lobe Separation - 115º

Camshaft kit contains:
(1) Camshaft
(16) high-performance valve springs
(16) lightweight titanium retainers
(32) OEM valve keepers

High-Performance-Valve Spring specs:
Max. Valve Lift - .600"
O.D. - 1.255"
I.D. - .830"
Install Pressure - <a href="mailto:350@1.175"">350@1.175"</a>
Open Pressure - 1.100"

should i replace the heads or pistons or both?

and what should I use?

Thanx so much guys.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Those cam specs would work pretty well with that Radix for sure. Your stock pistons will be fine and I'd use unported 6.0 heads + 214/222 cam + Radix. I think if you go too far with ported heads you won't be able to fill the increased flow with more boost and if you did you driveline will fall apart in short order.

I'd rather use an intercooled Whipple vs the Radix. The Whipple is a twin screw, more efficient powerwise, and larger compressor but the downside the intercooler has not been released yet (apparently very soon from them). Also it would be smart to ditch the extra injectors that comes with the Whipple and go for a set of 8 oversided around 42lbs/hr.

I'd give someone like Absolute Speed a call (I think Jay is the person there to talk to) and see if they can cut you a cam for the stock 6.0 heads for your application. Idle is important, prefer shift points around 5800-6200, going to be running a SuperCharger, etc. You will get a cam set to the Volumetric Efficiency of those heads and for your application...helping your economy too.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Teching In

I am gonna go with the stock 6.0 heads with this cam and get it tuned right with ls1edit.

1 ? i dont know so im asking are all stock 6.0 heads the same? Do i get surburban tahoe denali 6.0 heads? i duno which one?

thanx
Old 07-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Teching In

anyone know this?:

I am gonna go with the stock 6.0 heads with this cam and get it tuned right with ls1edit.

1 ? i dont know so im asking are all stock 6.0 heads the same? Do i get surburban tahoe denali 6.0 heads? i duno which one?

thanx

Old 07-14-2003, 04:35 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prety sure all the heads are the same, just be sure to get the aluminum one's(2001 or newer)

Quick Reply: looking to do a head and cam pack with magnacharger radix...