Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Looking for info on changing fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for info on changing fuel injectors

Does anyone have good info(pics) on how to swap out fuel injectors on a 6.0L? I am told I should upgrade to 43lb injectors, but, i'm not sure if it is something I can do myself.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
Does anyone have good info(pics) on how to swap out fuel injectors on a 6.0L? I am told I should upgrade to 43lb injectors, but, i'm not sure if it is something I can do myself.
It is very easy.....I would say about 45min. - 1 hour if you've never done it before.
The intake doesn't even come off.
-Take off the motor cover (two 8mm or 10mm bolts)
-Unplug injectors
-Then unscrew the clamps (need a torx driver) holding the fuel rails down to the fuel logs.
-The fuel logs should each lift completely out with the injectors hanging off of them (this may require a little tugging....but do not be forceful by any means.
-Pop off the clamps holding each injector on, then kinda wobble them off
-Put some lubrication on the new injectors' o-rings and pop the new ones in

(I think thats about it)

Its really easy! I had never done it before until Allen showed me (took us about 30 minutes together)
Old 04-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Launching!

I had to switch my injectors on my truck when putting in my sc and i used the 43# from asm. It is kinda basic on putting them in but to make it easy you need to discunect the fuel lines and then you can take them off easier. You can do it without doing that but it is easier taking them off. Not sure if that info will help but it isn't to bad.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

I did mine last month. Took no more than 45 minutes and i did it myself in the driveway of Strictly Dyno. Besides what BMButler said, you'll need to relieve the fuel pressure through the schrader valve. Have lots of rags handy to soak up the fuel. Also, You'll need a fuel line disconnect tool to undo the lines from the rail, which is on the driver's side. Once you get the rails off, make sure you have plenty of rags because there will still be a bunch of gas in the rails.

To install the new injectors, lube up the o-rings with fresh motor oil and push them into the rails, them install the clips. Once all the injectors are in the rail. insert the rail and injectors into the intake manifold.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black_yukon
I did mine last month. Took no more than 45 minutes and i did it myself in the driveway of Strictly Dyno. Besides what BMButler said, you'll need to relieve the fuel pressure through the schrader valve. Have lots of rags handy to soak up the fuel. Also, You'll need a fuel line disconnect tool to undo the lines from the rail, which is on the driver's side. Once you get the rails off, make sure you have plenty of rags because there will still be a bunch of gas in the rails.

To install the new injectors, lube up the o-rings with fresh motor oil and push them into the rails, them install the clips. Once all the injectors are in the rail. insert the rail and injectors into the intake manifold.
I guess that would make it easier, but Allen and I
neither disconnected the fuel rails or relieved the pressure. A little gas came out when we disconnected the fuel logs from the main fuel line, but not enough to worry about.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, I'm an idiot. I need 8 injectors for a V8 right? I can see the 4 on the driver's side. I can only assume there are 4 more on the passenger side. If so, wouldn't they be under the Whipple?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

so either nobody knows, or, all of you who do really think i'm an idiot and are just sitting back laughing at me. real nice
Old 05-12-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Yea, there are 8 injectors, four on each side in the same location.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
so either nobody knows, or, all of you who do really think i'm an idiot and are just sitting back laughing at me. real nice

You/we will need 8, and at 50+ bucks a piece it's going to suck.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Do you have to do any kind of tuning when you do it? I have a predator tuner on mine now. Can I adjust the power enrichment setting from my tuner?

Quick Reply: Looking for info on changing fuel injectors