Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

looking for some build advice...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default looking for some build advice...

I got a lq9 a couple weeks ago with a broken rod and piston. A few scratches on cylinder wall, and minor nick/gouge, real low in cylinder. I am in the process of taking it apart. Have called a couple machine shops to see if they can at least look at it, tell me if the damage is bad, or not so bad.
My goal is really just a stock 6.0 with a mild cam. I'm not looking to race, just a stout weekend cruiser.
"If" the machine shop says it is fixable, would it be advisable to use a "used" rod and piston for the motor? I know there are a lot of variables in machine shop diagnosis, I am trying to do this on the cheap...actually I just don't want to spend "X" amount to get this motor rebuilt, and be able to get another one that is good and running for same "X" amount of dollars without the hassle of rebuilding. Hope this makes sense and I am not babbling too much. I just don't want to be spending $, going the wrong direction.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only one of the stock rods broke, I'd probably verify the integrity of the other pistons & rods and just replace the broken one...unless you're planning to overbore the damaged cylinder. Even still, I think lots of guys get used rods/pistons to keep $$$ down. Good luck!