Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Looks like I lost #7 piston

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krambo
FWIW, thank you for sharing this event and documenting it well with the pictures. That is the reason I spend so much time on sites like PT.net. Its the closest thing to experiencing issues one-on-one

Do you have any idea what your egt's were? and did you find our the piston to cylinder specs?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:26 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7845
theres a theory floating around that if you use the ls6 style crossover on the front and back youll help cool that part of the motor better

that would also make sense why you were denotating before the meth. what was your target A/F? what was actual A/F? what Tstat you running? by any chance would you have a weak injector for that cylinder?

his theory makes a lot of sense as for the heating up and expanding but in order to do that it would of been extremely hot. not to many ppl run .040 that would net you a custom piston...in that case a new block might be cheaper....figure price of machine work for bore and cost of pistons vs the cost of block and boring
My target A/F was 11.5:1. Actual I don't really know...a few frames before the 8* of knock hit in my highway run the wideband bottomed out at 11.12:1 and stayed there. Killed the sensor. I was running meth, and I really don't think it would have leaned up enough from the 11.12:1 to cause problems, unless it was a weak injector or something.

Thermostat is a 180*. I won't know injector status until I have them flow tested. The LS6 crossover would be a worthwhile investment if it will help. I'll see if I can find one over on tech.

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing

Do you have any idea what your egt's were? and did you find our the piston to cylinder specs?
No on both. I have an EGT gauge and I've seen it hover right around 1500 before, but I don't log it and I wasn't watching it on that run.

Rex has been looking through this thread, hopefully he can post up some of the clearances if he remembers them or has them written down somewhere.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by krambo
IFWIW, thank you for sharing this event and documenting it well with the pictures. That is the reason I spend so much time on sites like PT.net. Its the closest thing to experiencing issues one-on-one
No problem, I like seeing carnage pics, so it wouldn't be right for me to hold back when I have some to share
Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am by no means an expert... but if cylinder appearance is the basis for #7 being deemed lean. #1 looks leaner to me.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
High on diesel fumes

#1 has a lot more carbon buildup in the dished area.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 PM
High on diesel fumes

Here's 1 and 7 next to each other.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:41 PM
High on diesel fumes

Well after finding out about all this crap I'm pretty bummed out again. Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I really am hoping for the best but it just seems like I keep getting shafted over and over again. Hopefully the tables will start to turn the opposite direction one of the days.

Right now I'm looking at another $1400 or so for the new parts, then add in the cost of fittings and adapters for the new fuel rails, then the cost of parts and labor to fix the engine, which is up in the air depending on how bad the damage is. I was just getting to the point to where my finances were starting to look up again. ****. This is a great graduation present. The only upside is that I should hopefully be getting a raise here shortly....not sure how much though.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 PM
blownerator

Damn bro, sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunder550
Here's 1 and 7 next to each other.
Yep, that makes it look different.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you catch your fingernails in those scratches?

Looks bad, dude - sorry to see it! Here's hoping the new/fixed motor puts you in the 10's

Quick Reply: Looks like I lost #7 piston