Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Looks like LS2 based 5.3's and 6.0s are on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like LS2 based 5.3's and 6.0s are on the way...

For those that don't leave the truck sections, check it out:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200542

More info here:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...n=3&docid=6384
Old 08-04-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks like GM is taking several of the mods we are currently doing and incorporating them as standard options. I am still skeptical of the DOD stuff though.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigKID
I am still skeptical of the DOD stuff though.
I know what you mean. Didn't GM already try this when the Northstar engine first came out? I did find it interesting when the article mentioned improved/revised 5.3 and 6.0 heads!
Old 08-04-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

now if we can just get that damn LS2 in a regular cab 2wd 1500.....or colarado....
Old 08-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zippy
now if we can just get that damn LS2 in a regular cab 2wd 1500.....or colarado....
They'll probably get on that right after they finish the regular cab SS.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

I wonder if those heads, intake manifold, and bigger throttle body would swap over to the Gen III's. Yeah, GM tried the DOD thing before on Cadillac's, it was called 4-6-8 I think. From what I have heard it was pretty much a complete failure.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:10 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting things I see:

IMPROVED CYLINDER HEADS

The 5.3 takes its cylinder heads from the LS6 V-8 that powers Cadillac’s high-performance CTS-V sedan. Originally developed for the Corvette Z06, these heads improve airflow in and out of the engine. With their pent-roof combustion chambers and new flat-top pistons (the pistons in Gen III Vortec 5300s have a slight sump in the piston deck), the Gen IV Vortec 5300’s compression ratio increases from 9.5:1 to 9.9:1. This increase improves the engine’s volumetric efficiency and increases horsepower.

Sweet! LS6 heads and flat top pistons.

IMPROVED INTAKE MANIFOLD WITH LARGER THROTTLE BODY

The Gen IV Vortec 5300’s carbon composite intake manifold offers several advantages over a conventional metal manifold, including less weight, improved airflow and better noise dampening. It is manufactured with a refined lost-core molding process that improves assembly efficiency and drastically reduces post-molding finish work.

With the new manifold, the engine is equipped with an 87-mm throttle body, compared to the 75-mm throttle body used on Gen III Vortec 5300s. The larger throttle body increases maximum airflow into the engine; it also prepares the Gen IV Vortec 5300 for further horsepower increases in the future. Moreover, the throttle body is now tilted upward 12.5 degrees, as opposed to flat to the horizontal plane of the engine.

new intake and larger TB. Sounds good to me.

HIGH-LIFT CAM

There are several improvements to the Gen IV Vortec 5300’s cam gear, including a higher lift camshaft. With this cam, maximum valve lift increases to 12.5 mm, compared to 11.6 mm in 2004 Vortec 5300s, increasing flow rate into and out of the combustion chambers. The new cam and higher compression ratio (above) are primary contributors to the Gen IV’s increased horsepower compared to 2004 Vortec 5300s.

Still under .500 valve lift.

HIGH-CAPACITY OIL PUMP

The Gen IV Vortec 5300 is equipped with a higher-capacity, low friction oil pump. The pump is validated to the same durability standard as those used on other Vortec 5300s, but it increases capacity from .96 cubic inches per revolution to 1.26 cubic inches. This pump improves oil distribution in general, and provides additional pressure needed to operate the lifter oil manifold assembly (LOMA) and Displacement on Demand.

I wonder if this oil pump will work on the GEN III motors. Time for an ugrade!

FLOATING PIN PISTONS WITH POLYMER COATING

The Gen IV Vortec 5300 is equipped with floating-pin pistons. Introduced on GM Powertrain’s Vortec 6000 H.0. V-8, these pistons feature wrist pins that “float” inside the rod bushing and the pin bores in the piston barrel. The new floating-pin assembly allows tighter pin to pin-bore tolerances and reduces noise generated during engine operation. To further reduce wear, the pistons are coated with a polymer material. This material limits bore scuffing, or abrasion of the cylinder wall over time from the piston’s up-down motion, and extends the benefits of the floating-pin piston assembly. The polymer coating also dampens noise generated by the piston’s movement within the cylinder. The result for the customer is less engine wear, improved durability and quieter operation.

LQ9-like coated pistons with floating wrist pins. Nice job GM.

PAN-AXLE OIL PAN

GM Powertrain’s unique pan-axle oil pan has been adapted for the Gen IV Vortec 5300. The oil pan is cast with an axle pass-through for all-wheel-drive vehicles and allows the front axle differential to be bolted to the oil pan.

No thanks. Sounds like more trouble than its worth.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Launching!

great...how about a transmission upgrade?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

wow, im really excited about all these changes.

GM

i bet the ls2 has more success than the ls1
Old 08-04-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It doesnt say its gonna be on the sierra/silverado does it?

Quick Reply: Looks like LS2 based 5.3's and 6.0s are on the way...