Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lopey CAM question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by waxmyjmy
So I’m guessing this would be enough for me. I own nothing to tune it with though. I’m kinda excited to do the project also so maybe I could try it between time.

get a tune done - have them adjust it in then- you’ll gain power on the truck and lope without work

if I have time tonight I’ll do a video of it on my stock crew cab

Old 06-24-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No rush, I finally have all the other aspects figured out and decided it might be time to figure out the cam situation. So I can add it all up and ask my wife to sell her belly button ring collection so we can make it happen.....
Old 06-24-2018, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idle speed has a lot to do with how the cam sounds at idle as well.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:40 PM

So, after some contemplating. I guess horsepower would be a nice by-product of all the money being spent. So I come to you guys for your expertise. Im not sure a real budget or any actual expectations other than I want it to sound real lopey at start up and while at a red light. I obviously need a cam, I intend to do some headers, I also looked into better injectors so perhaps ill not waste my money at the dyno running out of fuel. Alot of the work will be done in-house to save on labor then drove/ towed to shop for tuning. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by waxmyjmy
So, after some contemplating. I guess horsepower would be a nice by-product of all the money being spent. So I come to you guys for your expertise. Im not sure a real budget or any actual expectations other than I want it to sound real lopey at start up and while at a red light. I obviously need a cam, I intend to do some headers, I also looked into better injectors so perhaps ill not waste my money at the dyno running out of fuel. Alot of the work will be done in-house to save on labor then drove/ towed to shop for tuning. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Idle chop = positive overlap

The more positive overlap you have, the more it will chop, regardless of lobe separation.

The more negative overlap you have, the more smooth it will idle.

For instance, my 227/236 cam has 11.5 degrees of overlap. It chops real good. Torque is meh off idle but pulls hard above 3500.

Learn one thing now, LSA has very little to do with chop and more about where power comes in.

Focus on the cam overlap if you want the chop. Cam Motion has a free cam timer that you can download and plug in different cams to see the overlap.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:43 PM

So I will get idle chop is there any reason not to opt for that type of cam?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
get a tune done - have them adjust it in then- you’ll gain power on the truck and lope without work

if I have time tonight I’ll do a video of it on my stock crew cab

Exactly right. Thunderstruck507 made his mild drop in camshaft sound like that from a mild drag car through tuning. He has videos on youtube.

I like the way my stock, single pattern, cam sounds at idle, a better muffler would enhance it.