Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lost a 1/2 a pound of boost...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
first off, congrats!

questions: what made you decide on this Cam?

I like the lift on this Cam and the -10deg overlap (hence low boost loss) and the fact that it was designed to enhance the entire rpm band.

I also like the 230deg duration on the exhaust side in a stock headed application!, and, I would speculate that a free flowing exhaust would greatly enhance this combo, now, more than ever.

Why this cam?...

I had ordered the Corsa catback to replace my loud *** Magnaflow (I still think it sounds great on NON-forced induction applications!). This purchase really made me think long and hard about coughing up another grand for headers. So far as I know there is only one way to make up for a weak flowing (non-headered) exhaust system--- Gobs of exhaust duration.

I knew the GT-2/3 cam rocked but I always had in mind more of a 214/220 cam. Then I was perusing the Thunder Racing website and saw the CheaTR cam. It had all the lift I ever wanted, a high LSA to help it be very tame and an awesome amount of duration. In my opinion this cam is like the GT- 2/3 turned up to 11 and should kick its ***

The old man cam is similar in specs, but not as extreme. I'm seriously thinking this cam would rock on my CTS-V with some AFR 205's As you have headers and some ported heads now I'd think a more traditional came would suit you best. Just go for high lift (and a good average lift area under the curve!) and a higher LSA if you want to keep it stock sounding. This CheaTR sounds very small. Much smaller than it actually is.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CHarris
Why this cam?...

I had ordered the Corsa catback to replace my loud *** Magnaflow (I still think it sounds great on NON-forced induction applications!). This purchase really made me think long and hard about coughing up another grand for headers. So far as I know there is only one way to make up for a weak flowing (non-headered) exhaust system--- Gobs of exhaust duration.

I knew the GT-2/3 cam rocked but I always had in mind more of a 214/220 cam. Then I was perusing the Thunder Racing website and saw the CheaTR cam. It had all the lift I ever wanted, a high LSA to help it be very tame and an awesome amount of duration. In my opinion this cam is like the GT- 2/3 turned up to 11 and should kick its ***

The old man cam is similar in specs, but not as extreme. I'm seriously thinking this cam would rock on my CTS-V with some AFR 205's As you have headers and some ported heads now I'd think a more traditional came would suit you best. Just go for high lift (and a good average lift area under the curve!) and a higher LSA if you want to keep it stock sounding. This CheaTR sounds very small. Much smaller than it actually is.
sounds good, I've had my Camshaft in the garage for a few months now.
It is more traditional and will take advantage of the WCCH heads.
220/224 .581/.581 on a 115LSA.

So are headers out of the question for you?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
sounds good, I've had my Camshaft in the garage for a few months now.
It is more traditional and will take advantage of the WCCH heads.
220/224 .581/.581 on a 115LSA.

So are headers out of the question for you?
Yep... Not gonna do it.