Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Loudest Single-in Dual-out Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loudest Single-in Dual-out Muffler?

I have a Flowmaster muffler on my truck right now and it sounds like crap. It's WAY too quiet. I would like to ditch it for something louder. I also want to do dual tips out the side so I need a dual out muffler. I was originally considering doing just a single 3" bullet, but then I wouldn't have dual outlets, I would have to fab up some sort of y-splitter. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this or a muffler that would work? Magnaflow is way too quiet, so there's one suggestion gone. All suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know about loudest but Borla sounds good
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a single bullet that y's after it into two exhaust tips.
edit- something like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have a lot of room to mess with. I don't think that collector will fit, maybe it will. I should probably get under the truck and check it out. I was thinking that a bullet dumped out the side might be a little too loud? So, if there is a good single-in dual-out muffler out there that won't completely rain on my parade then I'm all for it.

I agree that Borla sounds good, but it's in the quiet side, and expensive side also.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
. . .
I agree that Borla sounds good, but it's in the quiet side, and expensive side also.
quiet . . . who are you kidding . . . it's pretty loud. Click the vid in my sig, there's a few more in there. That's a Borla xr-1 sportsman. It was under $100 bucks.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gibson Super Truck
Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Teching In

ive seen smaller y collectors than the flowmaster one on summit racing that might work. i was going to do that as well but i ended up running true dauls. by the way who makes a nice bullet?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Just get a cutout. What flowmaster did you use, cause my 40 series was loud as **** one of my previous trucks, but the performance sucked.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tootall, what were the other exhaust mods on that truck? Sounded like LT's and no cats? I am running stock manifolds and cats, so mine will be significantly quieter. But yours sounds pretty good. That's the loudness I'm going for, maybe a little louder. I am aiming for a deep, throaty idle.

Jeff525, if I use a bullet it will most likely be a Dynomax bullet.

L33Z71, I would get a cutout, but I am also wanting to redo the exhaust system. The tailpipe I have is all rusty and the install looks like ***. I am not sure what Flowmaster I have, it doesn't say on the muffler I don't think.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I have a Flowmaster muffler on my truck right now and it sounds like crap. It's WAY too quiet. I would like to ditch it for something louder. I also want to do dual tips out the side so I need a dual out muffler. I was originally considering doing just a single 3" bullet, but then I wouldn't have dual outlets, I would have to fab up some sort of y-splitter. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this or a muffler that would work? Magnaflow is way too quiet, so there's one suggestion gone. All suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
this ought to do the trick

Quick Reply: Loudest Single-in Dual-out Muffler?