Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Low cost Meth/Alcohol injection kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low cost Meth/Alcohol injection kit?

I've started to consider the addition of a meth or alky kit to the H2. There isn't much room for the big off the shelf heat exchangers and a meth or alky kit used for extra cooling of an already safe level of boost sounds pretty attractive to me. Basically if the meth or alky ran out I'd have no risk of detonation. Just a much colder charge when it is activated. Can someone lend some experience to this?

I've been poking around with the search function but have found little hints here and there but nothing solid. Maybe this can become a consolidated thread on the topic.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

There are low buck setups but it's all the safety devices and progressive modules you add in that make the kits expensive. So they start about $200 but can go as high as $500. My kit has everything I need and cost me about $450

You would almost never run out of meth without knowing it. There is a wanring buzzer than would tell you as much so you should know before you hit the gas. Plus if used on low boost setups you won't use much meth anyway so checking it once a month would probably suffice.

You could call up Julio at AlkyControl and he could walk ya through it. I had great results with his kit and he is a good guy to talk to on this stuff.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

an alky kit is something I wouldnt skimp on. I tried going with a less expensive kit and ended up spending as much money as the alkycontrol and my kit is no where near as nice or as well put together. Julio gives you an amazing setup for the money. I havent seen another kit near as nice for close to the price. It is a top notch kit and reasonably priced.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the input so far guys...

I know a lot of guys need to have the best kit because they are running levels of boost that aren't possible without the meth/alky kit. As such, if the kit failed on them they would be in trouble. In my case, I am only running a level of boost that is completely safe already with no injection (less than 9 lbs already intercooled). So, I'm not sure I need the best most expensive. I'm just looking for some extra power via cooling when I want it like at the track. Because of this, I don't need the low level warnings or the expensive controllers. I'm only looking for a significant drop in IAT's. I am not going to a higher boost level.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

If you arent using a progressive controller there is a cheap little pressure switch you can use. I tried it, but it didnt work at all for me so I just bought a progressive controller a little sooner than I planned. I may have gotten a broken one or maybe I broke it. Other than that you just need a pump (most use shurflow) and a tank and reverse flow check valve. My kit uses nylon tube that leaked like hell from the fittings so I had to cover all of them with automotive goop. If possible I would use braided line. With the pressure switch you will have to use trial and error and an LED to see when the system activates.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for sharing that information, Greentahoe. It's not that I'm just trying to be a cheap *** (well, not completely) I just don't want to buy more than I need and the system is not going to be relied upon to prevent detonation.

Anyone else got some good stuff to share?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CHarris
Thanks for sharing that information, Greentahoe. It's not that I'm just trying to be a cheap *** (well, not completely) I just don't want to buy more than I need and the system is not going to be relied upon to prevent detonation.

Anyone else got some good stuff to share?
No prob man. I would do some checking with Magnacharger to see if Meth/Alky will be corrosive to the impellers on that blower. Most spray meth after the air has passed the FI device. Im not sure how you would do that as the Radix compresses the air directly into the intake manifold.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greentahoe
No prob man. I would do some checking with Magnacharger to see if Meth/Alky will be corrosive to the impellers on that blower. Most spray meth after the air has passed the FI device. Im not sure how you would do that as the Radix compresses the air directly into the intake manifold.
Another good point... I didn't consider that one. I'll betcha that one will screw me. It's probably why I haven't realy seen it done yet. I'll post the answer when I get it.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SMC kit and it doesn't have a progressive controller. it's either on or off. you can adjust the amount of spray and when it comes on. Anyone know if i can get a progressive controller for that kit and how much etc?????
Old 03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

I put my own setup together for about $200.00. I used this site (as well as a few others) for the parts list:

DIY Alky Kit

It's pretty simple, actually. I use a Hobbs adjustable pressure switch for the on/off function. Been going for about 18 months with no failures, leaks, or other issues.

Quick Reply: Low cost Meth/Alcohol injection kit?