Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

low, then no, oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it goes well for you but I have found that engines rarley heal themselves. I hope it was someting screwy with the pump.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you "soak" the new lifters before putting them in?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the posts i read regarding the subject suggested that it would be pretty useless to do so, other than just coating them with oil during assembly. And the hole inside seemed so small that I did not think oil would simply drain into them without being forced in by 40-70psi of pressure. Is it standard procedure to soak them?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
Most of the posts i read regarding the subject suggested that it would be pretty useless to do so, other than just coating them with oil during assembly. And the hole inside seemed so small that I did not think oil would simply drain into them without being forced in by 40-70psi of pressure. Is it standard procedure to soak them?
I do every time . . . . less chatter on the first startup. Heck I even put a few pumps in the push rods to speed things up a little. It makes those "first startups" easy to diagnose the noises in case there's something else that's wrong.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

It wasnt all that noisy to begin with, when I had good pressure. As time went on and pressure dropped, that is when the noise got more and more pronounced.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
It wasnt all that noisy to begin with, when I had good pressure. As time went on and pressure dropped, that is when the noise got more and more pronounced.
what oil filter do you use? . . . I opened an abused 06 5.3 with a/c Delco filters . . . there was filter debris on the pickup tube and the pan
Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I usually use a bosch filter and castrol synth. KNowing that I was going to use this oilchange as a "flush" and only run it for a couple of days, I went with walmart 20-50 oil and a fram filter (it was late, the auto parts stores were closed, and walmart only carries fram). I am gonna try to reinstall the diff and **** today even though I am working outside and it is bitterly ******* cold here today. I will run it for a day or 2 and then change back to my standard stuff. At this point the entire oil system is clean as a whistle except possibly for the radiator/oil cooler chamber.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright now, I'm about to get really pissed.

I put it all back together and let the engine run until it warmed up, and then probably about 20 minutes more while I cleaned up my tools and such. Then I went for a drive up the road, keeping it out of overdrive so the rpms stayed between 2000-3000 to help pressurize the lifters.

With the oil warmed up I am once again seeing VERY low pressure. At idle I see 10psi steady and from idle until about 3krpm (I havent went any higher) I see steady 20psi.

I guess I'm about to order a f*&^ing oil pump and prepare to do the same job all f*&^ing over again.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

replace your sender before doing all of that again
Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
replace your sender before doing all of that again
My thoughts exactly.

Quick Reply: low, then no, oil pressure