Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

low, then no, oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is something really odd. I put the stock sender back in it's hole behind the intake, and moved my mechanical gauge down to the plug on the drivers side lower corner of the block, behind the PS pump. Fired it up and at idle see about 20 on the stock gauge and 35-40 on the mechanical gauge. I rev it up around 2300 and see 50 on the mechanical gauge while the stock gauge stays at 20-25.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right. it seems like it is bleeding off pressure at the top end. that is why i asked about the lifter bores.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

could a blockage of one of the gallies cause this? Though I dont know what could be doing the blocking...

I guess I am going to pull the whole f*&^ing thing out and tear it apart until I find the problem. Looks like I can pick up a used runner for a bit over a grand if I find major problems, or maybe I can fix it for free/little once I get it out.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

sound like the oring on the oil pickup tube didnt seat or has a slice in it .it happened to me,and make sure u used the right color o ring ,theyres red and green
Old 01-18-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramsey rider
sound like the oring on the oil pickup tube didnt seat or has a slice in it .it happened to me,and make sure u used the right color o ring ,theyres red and green

Thanks for the news flash. You didnt read any of the thread updates, did you?

Thanks for trying to help, though.

One more time:

The pickup tube oring is new, it is red, not deformed or cut, and is installed properly.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry i didnt read the whole thing,jees man take it easy ,did you pack the pump ,so it woeld keep prime,easy killer
Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, no offense, but why try to give advice when you havent even read up on the situation in question?

Anyway, the pump is new and I primed it with oil before installing. It builds pressure immediately, just not very much. And as my last couple of posts indicate, there is 40-50psi of adequate pressure at the bottom of the block, but only 10-20 at the top. The oil and filter are new.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

just messin with ya about the rude post you did ,i only added that to mess with ya ,let it go just kidding
Old 01-18-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry for the bustin,my fault for not reading the whole thing ,i was just flying through and thought id fling it out theyre
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, it's just that everyone and their dog is like "it's the oil pickup o-ring y0!" and clearly at this point it is not. Not to mention that I never disturbed it to begin with. To read this forum one might think that installing the o-ring properly consists of rocket science or brain surgery. Honestly I don't see how a man can screw it up. The pickup tube has a bevel to hold it in place, and the oil pump is beveled as well to help it slide in place. You'd have to be negligent to pinch it.

Quick Reply: low, then no, oil pressure