Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

low, then no, oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I had a brand new RED pick up tube O ring and I still had to use a **** load of RTV to get my oil pressure to stay steady. I feel your pain! Between problems with my timing chain and oil pressure I had mine apart and back together 6 times before I was done. Every time I used thread locker and torqued all the bolts so it was definitely time consuming.... Another thing that helped was loosening the pick up tube from the block before tightening it up to the oil pump.

And before you ask, yes I read the entire thread! I'm just posting up what happened to me hopping it might help ya
Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
. . . . . Honestly I don't see how a man can screw it up. The pickup tube has a bevel to hold it in place, and the oil pump is beveled as well to help it slide in place. You'd have to be negligent to pinch it.
what color is the one that you have . . . . if it's the blueish green one . . . then get the red o-ring . . . believe it or not, there's a night and day difference.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Kevin I'm going through the same thing on a customers Street Rod. It's got a BBC engine that had a broken push rod. I replaced the push rod and everything seemed fine but we should have used a scope to look at the cam. He took it and made it about 8 miles and lost oil pressure. He pulled over when it started valvetrain noise. When we opened it up and found the pushrod off again we looked harder and found a severly flattened lobe. So we pulled the cam and three lobes were going bad. The one lifter was about 1/4" shorter (hydraulic flat tappet). So we looked around and everything else was still in order. We flushed it out and install a new cam and lifters. Now it runs fine but when cold started it has 68 PSI. By the time it warms up to 185* it is 5-10 at low idle and only 45 revved up. I have verified it with a mechanical gauge. The oil pump was fine until he drove it so I don't know but I'm sick of working on it as I don't have time and space for this type of job, it's a 1948 Olds. I don't want to replace the oil pump because I don't think it's the problem. I think it's in the lifter bore from that bad lobe but he's not going to want to hear that after we charged him about $2500 already and he's not had it for a few months now and had just bought it at auction for $13,000.

Anyways we have the same problem in very similar engines and with very similar circumstances that led upto it. Just thought I'd share that since reading your thread has about confirmed my fears.

See you at RX7 Club
Vernon
Old 01-19-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
what color is the one that you have . . . . if it's the blueish green one . . . then get the red o-ring . . . believe it or not, there's a night and day difference.
please see post 40 and 45. oring is red, brand new.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shakinlm7
FWIW I had a brand new RED pick up tube O ring and I still had to use a **** load of RTV to get my oil pressure to stay steady. I feel your pain! Between problems with my timing chain and oil pressure I had mine apart and back together 6 times before I was done. Every time I used thread locker and torqued all the bolts so it was definitely time consuming.... Another thing that helped was loosening the pick up tube from the block before tightening it up to the oil pump.

And before you ask, yes I read the entire thread! I'm just posting up what happened to me hopping it might help ya
IF this is the case then this whole o-ring business is a TERRIBLE design. What would have been wrong with a simple 2 bolt flat flange and a gasket to the oilpump? Looks like the pump is even set up for that. They could have even kept the oring and used a gasket as well.

Sealing a pickup tube to an oilpump or block should not be rocket science.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Kevin I'm going through the same thing on a customers Street Rod. It's got a BBC engine that had a broken push rod. I replaced the push rod and everything seemed fine but we should have used a scope to look at the cam. He took it and made it about 8 miles and lost oil pressure. He pulled over when it started valvetrain noise. When we opened it up and found the pushrod off again we looked harder and found a severly flattened lobe. So we pulled the cam and three lobes were going bad. The one lifter was about 1/4" shorter (hydraulic flat tappet). So we looked around and everything else was still in order. We flushed it out and install a new cam and lifters. Now it runs fine but when cold started it has 68 PSI. By the time it warms up to 185* it is 5-10 at low idle and only 45 revved up. I have verified it with a mechanical gauge. The oil pump was fine until he drove it so I don't know but I'm sick of working on it as I don't have time and space for this type of job, it's a 1948 Olds. I don't want to replace the oil pump because I don't think it's the problem. I think it's in the lifter bore from that bad lobe but he's not going to want to hear that after we charged him about $2500 already and he's not had it for a few months now and had just bought it at auction for $13,000.

Anyways we have the same problem in very similar engines and with very similar circumstances that led upto it. Just thought I'd share that since reading your thread has about confirmed my fears.

See you at RX7 Club
Vernon
Wow, what are the odds of another rx7club member on a v8 forum.

I really find it hard to believe that the lifter bore/block is the issue here. I did smooth the bore out a little bit but it was not bad at all. The lifter had not siezed up in it. IT still moved freely, just the bottom was flattened and it wouldnt come out. Since I had tried to pull it up with pliers, I figured the bottom edge of the lifter bore might have a burr or 2 on it and smoothed it out until a new lifter moved freely inside. I can't see the iron block being deformed enough to dump 30psi of oil pressure out of that one lifter bore.

Engine is coming out, so I will know in a couple of days I guess.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya wont know if the red o ring sealed by pulling the motor unless youre ganna start it on the ground .i would be certain of this b4 i pull it it def sounds like it .id take a few min and pull the pan replace that oring with alittle lube on it so it slides on the flange ,and pack that oil pump with grease before u put it back 2 gether no matter what so you dont get a dry ****,or start,thatll fool ya .ittl mess with youre oil pressure like hell.just my offering.take it whatever way u want,and yes it took 3 time b4 i got it right.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, what are the odds of another rx7club member on a v8 forum.

I really find it hard to believe that the lifter bore/block is the issue here. I did smooth the bore out a little bit but it was not bad at all. The lifter had not siezed up in it. IT still moved freely, just the bottom was flattened and it wouldnt come out. Since I had tried to pull it up with pliers, I figured the bottom edge of the lifter bore might have a burr or 2 on it and smoothed it out until a new lifter moved freely inside. I can't see the iron block being deformed enough to dump 30psi of oil pressure out of that one lifter bore.

Engine is coming out, so I will know in a couple of days I guess.
I'm in a lot of places but I go by NewRxr over there and own a GSL-SE, however, since I gave that car to my oldest son over a year ago I don't spend much time over there.

I really hope this issue is something simple and I can check it out whatever you find and find the same thing on my problem case. I'll be following your progress for this reason.

Good luck,
Vernon
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Any chance that there is a spun/bad cam bearing(s) from the original problem? Or even a lower bearing issue. It's obvious that the pump is doing it's job but oil isn't making it's way to the top...
Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please see post 40 and 45. oring is red, brand new.
I saw it . . . I'm just giving you a hard time like the other guy. Sorry to hear that's not solved yet.

Quick Reply: low, then no, oil pressure