Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

low, then no, oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Any chance that there is a spun/bad cam bearing(s) from the original problem? Or even a lower bearing issue. It's obvious that the pump is doing it's job but oil isn't making it's way to the top...
Well, all I know is that the old cam came right out, and had no scorching or scoring on it at all (save for the bad lobe) and the new cam slid right into place with no fuss either. Also I have no knocking of any sort to indicate a bearing issue. But, I cannot rule it completely out I suppose.

I have an interesting lead brought up by a friend of mine. We think the cam journals on my aftermarket cam may not be the exact right size, allowing more bearing clearance. Other than a galley obstruction or a bad bearing, those are the only things we can come up with at the moment given what all has been replaced.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a good thought also. it does not take much to lose pressure on the top end. you have the rest of the block restricting volume so it is easy to lose pressure up top with a little excessive clearance. the easy way to rule out the pickup oring is to add 2 or 3 quarts of extra oil. that will completely submerge the entire pickup and oring. just don't drive it like this!! it's much easier than taking it back apart for no reason.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Uh guys before this gets any uglier, Kevin (this poster) rebuilds engines and cars for a living, has been for some time now and is good at it. He's very meticulous. I'm not saying he knows it all because none of us do. But if the man has gone back in a redone the O-ring and made sure he did it right with the right one and still has the same exact problem then chances are that's not the problem. And as many posts that have gone back to it I'm sure he's tired of it. He's pretty fustraited with the whole thing by now and I imagine he's very touchy about the whole thing so it doesn't take much to make him blow a gasket. Any of us that work on engines long enough have been in this type of situation and felt the same way. So even if it may still be the O-ring let it go and try to think of something else that may help.

And Kevin, I understand how you feel bro, uh...I mean guy on the internet-lol. But perhaps you should back off responding to the "It's your pump O-ring" posts. It will take a few minutes to skim through them I know but your post is about to get all F'd up by your attitude to them which is a worse problem.

I still want you to find this and report back, at this rate I'm screwed LOL.

Vernon
Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok ENOUGH!
Anyone else posting in this thread better be offering some HELP ......not CRITICISM.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

agreed.truse
Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you.

The engine is currently out of the truck and being stripped down. I dont plan to remove the pistons or rods unless necessary, but I will pull the cam to check the cam bearings. I will also remove the main caps and check the crank and bearings there. I am going to try and remove the rear cover, and all the galley plugs, and use lights/compressed air to ensure that they are all clear and open.

I am also going to compare the cam journals versus my stock cam to see if the new cam journals are any smaller, and possibly letting extra pressure bleed out.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, found the problem. Cam was hard to get out by hand and I had to use a brass bar from the back side to tap it out (it came out pretty easy then). And I found there was a ground/burned journal on the cam (you can see where the edges of the journal have been hot) and a bad cam bearing. It does not appear to have spun inside the block, but then it is a bit hard to see down inside there.

I have to admit that I have no idea why this happened. The old cam has NO apparent damage anywhere other than the one bad lobe. The journals look perfect. The bad lobe on the cam and the bad lifter were the 8th back from the front, adjacent to the 3rd/middle cam journal. The bad journal and bearing that I just found is the 2nd from the front.

The old cam slid right out very easily and the new cam, coated with oil, slid in place very easily as well. I made sure to go slow and manipulate the cam when I encountered a little resistance to let the lobes clear the bearings without nicking them.

I am exploring options for replacing cam bearings and will obviously have to get another cam, but I will probably wind up just picking up some used engine to drop in as a temporary replacement, maybe an ls1 or something.

At least we all know it wasnt that damned o-ring. If I hadnt pulled the engine and taken it apart I would probably still be getting told that it was the problem.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey check that out . . . . I was right ! . . . .

Be sure to check the main caps, and replace the bearings. This is what you'll find. This is in the same line as the cam bearing that went bad. The oil passages that feed the cam bearings are the same for the main bearings.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The mains and crank are also wiped out, but not anything remotely as bad as what is in your pics. I dont see any metal shavings anywhere, and there is no deep grooves in the main bearings or cranks, just very fine lines that catch your fingernail.

Looks like I will have some parts for sale shortly.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

just for the heck of it mic those cam journals too see if they are off.or did the lack of oil cause it to dry *** and damage the bearing.?just curious.keep us posted what could of caused this too happen.

Quick Reply: low, then no, oil pressure