Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

low, then no, oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

journals on the new cam were about 0.001 smaller than the stock cam. probably not enough to matter. I talked to another local friend of mine who builds piston engines on the side and he says that it is not uncommon for such issues to arise when installing a new cam with used cam bearings.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that sucks to hear. Glad you finally figured it out though.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oha man . . . . I'm sorry, but I called it from the beginning . . .

be sure to get it hot tanked and cleaned out
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So was it the bearing that caused the oil pressure problem or the oil pressure problem that trashed the bearing?
Man I hope that doesn't happen to me if I ever get around to getting my cam installed.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will probably just pick up an entire other engine and drop in. My friend wants to help me rebuild it, but as I explained to him, by the time I pay for new headgaskets, head bolts, rod bolts, main bolts, bearings (even if I reused rings) and cleaning of the block and machining of the crank, I'd have an easy 5 or 600 bucks if not more, and still have an 88k iron block engine.

I found a 90k lq4 longblock complete for $1000 locally from an interior fire truck.
Also have my eye on a very low mile 01 ls1 with a cam for $1100, and a fresh rebuilt 04 ls6 with zero miles (secondhand, has sat for a couple years) for $1500. The only drawback to those is that I'd be giving up a little displacement.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by truckmann
So was it the bearing that caused the oil pressure problem or the oil pressure problem that trashed the bearing?
Man I hope that doesn't happen to me if I ever get around to getting my cam installed.

I'd love to know myself. I don't have a clue. I'd say the bearing caused the low pressure, which would mean the bearing tore up within minutes of installing the new cam and then the rest of my bearings got torn up with metal fragments as time went on and I ran it for short periods trying to troubleshoot the issue.

I was careful installing the cam and did not think that I came anywhere close to nicking a bearing. IT went in and spun freely by hand during install. My piston engine building friend says that if it went in that easily that my bearings probably already had too much play, and that "to do the job right" you are supposed to replace cam bearings at the same time. I told him that plenty of people do cam swaps in the car and he said that more often than not you are okay to do it that way, but not always.

That explanation doesnt really sit well with me, but nevertheless I am here with a bad bearing so I guess I can take his word for it.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Man, sorry about your misfortune

But, if I may quote myself:

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Any chance that there is a spun/bad cam bearing(s) from the original problem? Or even a lower bearing issue.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why would a bearing just up and decide to **** itself though? It still makes zero sense.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
Why would a bearing just up and decide to **** itself though? It still makes zero sense.
a bad grind, or the cam wasn't "true" end to end . . .

cheap oil, and lots of high revs

I've seen someone drop a cam, install it . .. and this same thing happen later on. . . . and this wasn't me by the way

Quick Reply: low, then no, oil pressure